CrazyA's 150 gallon project

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by CrazyA, Jan 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CrazyA

CrazyA Feather Duster

Well heck, the kick off party has begun. I placed an order today for supplies to build my first reef (Bit to cut holes in glass, new RO/DI unit, 5 Bulkheads (1" slip x slip), a Two little fhishies Phosban reactor and media). Dont get too excited though, because i'm still in need of many more parts that are not within arms reach right now. Figured this thread would be a good idea since this site has some kickin people on it that i hope can help me out.

I've got a 150 gal tank empty with a canopy and stand desperately waiting for some love. I've put together a couple drawings (IN ROUGH DRAFT FORM:dizzy2: ) of what i'm proposing for pluming and lay-out of sump/fuge. I’ll try to explain each pic as there posted (Wow just relized doing a print screen not all lines show up in the picture...oh well).

Basically it’s a bean-animal overflow to a sump/fuge. DT flow will come from a CL set-up. Here we go….

Dont mind the two sumps in the pics for now. I drew them up because i was trying to utilize a wet/dry (left side sump) feeding to the fuge (right side sump). Probably because i already have them...
    [​IMG]

This is set-up minus the pluming and overflow. The 3 center holes in the DT are for Bean-Animal, the outer two are for CL infeed to CL pump. The purple rectangles are supposed to be the pumps.
    [​IMG]

Bean-Animal elbow in tank
    [​IMG]

B-A with plumbing parts
    [​IMG]

B-A side shot
    [​IMG]

This one shows plumbing for bean-animal
    [​IMG]

Over flow box (its not full length i know, but i was hoping to save some room for return lines..)
    [​IMG]

Pumps plumbing ( i noticed i forgot the side view of the sump return pump and return line, i'll add that in tomorrow. Too many Keystone Lights)
    [​IMG]

Please help with plumbing and better sump configurations. I'd like to incorporate a wet/dry with a refug. I have two wet/dry boxes and a 29 gallon to use for refuge. Thanks to all :)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

Very cool start to your project, I have not done one of these yet but from experiance i'm gonna suggest simplifying your sumps. Forget the wet/dry boxes and just build a combo fuge/sump out of the 29gal.... you'll thank yourself for it later on.

good luck, i'll be following along to see how it comes out :)

4. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

by the way....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the best piece of advice you'll get around here as a saltwater newbie is 3Reef's slogan
    "Go slow, let it grow."
    good luck and post pics soon :)

5. CrazyA

CrazyA Feather Duster

Thanks Telgar, I'm re-drawing up the sump/refuge minus the wet/dry. After doing some reading I'll add in a CD

6. CrazyA

CrazyA Feather Duster

Well i went ahead and made a Coiled Denitrator friday night. Had a hard time finding 50' of tube, HD only had it in 25' lengths. Bought a coupler to join the two, a 24" 3" dia pipe and a 24" 2" pipe. Wrapped the hose around the 2" to slide it in but found the coupler would not slide through the 3" pipe. Unwrapped the hose and had to cut a slot half way down the 2" pipe. All said and done it slid through no problem after the slot was cut. Just had to start wrapping with the coupler in the slot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All wrapped up
    [​IMG]

End view before sliding together
    [​IMG]

End view with the hose in place
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  7. coloradoReef

coloradoReef 3reef Sponsor

Looks like it will be a nice build.

I would put as big of a fuge in that is possible and also ditch the wet/dry.

I like having a fuge and then a separate sump but sometimes room makes you combine the two in one tank.

Keep in mind that in the fuge you want less flow.

Nice diagrams!:)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

1 person likes this.
  10. CrazyA

CrazyA Feather Duster

Good news, box showed up friday evening from bulk reef supply. Got my new 75 GPD RO/DI 5 Stage *PLUS* System. Whoo hoo!. Also got a bit to cut some holes and a hand full of bulkheads.
    [​IMG]

Made a template to get the holes started in the right place. This helped a lot !!
    [​IMG]

Drilling...
    [​IMG]

Had to call in some backup, 5 holes was more work than i thought. My Hawaiian buddy lending a hand.
    [​IMG]

Holes are drilled...wheww, no cracks. All went well. 3 middle holes are for the bean animal overflow, two outer holes are infeed for the closed loop circulation pump
    [​IMG]

Well now I'm gonna construct the overflow box.

11. coloradoReef

coloradoReef 3reef Sponsor

Looks good....Scary times when drilling a tank!

12. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

so far looking like a cool project.