Marineland Marine Pro Protein Skimmer

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Apr 25, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Marineland's Marine Pro protein skimmer has an unusual configuration with the needle-wheel pump housed within the bottom of the skimmer giving the Marine Pro a modern seamless design. We at 3reef are curious about pump maintenance ... perhaps there is a quick release?

[​IMG]
    Marineland Marine Pro Protein Skimmer

More info:
    <a href="http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=18985" target="_blank" ref="nofollow">Aquarium Protein Skimmer: Marineland Pro Skimmers</a>

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. captbill

captbill Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I just bought one and its too early to tell how well it works but seems to blow alot of micro bubbles back into sump and that i do not like. In the manual it says in 5 or so days it will then be broke in and no more bubbles,will see i guess!

4. captbill

WOrk great quiet, if the water level changes in sump then u need to do a little adjusting, and until I get my fuge going I need to surround my return pump in a filter media to keep micro bubbles out of tank, but works very well imo! Good skim, depending on wet or dry if set for dry gets a good dark stinky stuff and a wet gets an olive green skim.

5. captbill

will say it works well with black skim and no micro bubbles break in was more like 1 month but will say it works very well am i am very satisfied with this purchase!!!!!

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks. Can you tell me about pump maintenance with this skimmer? Does it come apart easy for cleaning?

7. captbill

Yes! Very easy take down, like taking down a powerhead to the guts...no problem!!
    Will say skim is very dark and alot of the times very black. And as far as micro bubbles there are none. Never. Not even a little. After the "4 week break in" no 6 days....Was like I came home and no bubbles. My temp fix was to surround the return pump w/filter media to keep bubbles out.. Worked well. I'm running a 55 reef a korilla 2 and 4 along with another more direct pump for rear of rock"was for uv light i was told not to use"anyway cannot come up with anything bad besides it could use a valve to empty the cup. Oh and silent as a heart attack my overflow is louder...

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Nice temp fix. That's what I would do. LOOKS GREAT! You got it dialed in capt!!
    EDIT - And thanks for the info on the pump. I was curious about that... sounds great!

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

HEY CAPT - any chance of see a pic of the pump breakdown next time you clean it? I guess I am still curious. :)

11. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I see you havent put the drain tube on it to not have liquid overflow into the sump. there is a black cap on the cup pull it out and put a tube on it that drains into a container. I use a 1 gallon water jug so it runs off into it. the first time you have a day that you do a wc and dont see it over bubbling and making very wet skimate and it overflows the holes in that cover your going to make things very sick in that tank maybe even death to them if not caught in time. Trust me I saw someone make that mistake.

12. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel