Hurricone Skimmers by CoralVue

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Jan 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

CoralVue has a new skimmer series coming out next month! The Hurricone series skimmers have Askoll pumps with custom machined volute and pinwheel for serious bubble production and thick skimmate. 3reef likes the wide diameters on these beasts too! They look really nice.

[​IMG]
    Hurricone Skimmers by CoralVue

----

Available soon, a new line of high performance HURRICONE skimmers by CoralVue.

HURRICONE is a new line of high performance skimmers designed around Reef Specialty's vision of an ideal skimmer for today's saltwater hobbiest and skimmer enthusiasts alike. With key features like the performance proven Askoll pumps (Yes, the same motor block Royal Exclusive, makers of Bubble King skimmers, utilizes for their Red Dragon pumps), custom machined volute and pinwheel, removable bubble plate, extended cone transition, long neck and a solid build. These will be available in internal and recirculating external models. They will come in several sizes from the smallest being the CAT 1 to the largest being the huge CAT 5. These skimmers will be available at a great value and will provide serious performance, Quality build, and for the most demanding systems.

Here are the specs and intro pricing for the Soon to be available models:

CAT- 1 Internal - estimated for tanks up to 200 gal tank
    Footprint: 14"x14"
    Tall: 24.5"
    Body: 8"
    Neck: 5"
    Pump: Askoll 1500 with custom machined volute and pinwheel
    Price: $620*
    http://www.reefspecialty.com/<wbr>Protein-Skimmers-Hurricone/<wbr>c21_69/p372/NEW-Hurricone-CAT-<wbr>1-Internal-Protein-Skimmer/<wbr>product_info.html

CAT - 2 Internal - estimated for tanks up to 300-325 gal tank
    Footprint:13"x16"
    Tall: 27"
    Body: 10"
    Neck: 6"
    Pump: Askoll 1500 with custom machined volute and pinwheel
    Price: $699*
    http://www.reefspecialty.com/<wbr>Protein-Skimmers-Hurricone/<wbr>c21_69/p373/NEW-Hurricone-CAT-<wbr>2-Internal-Protein-Skimmer/<wbr>product_info.html

CAT - 2 External - estimated for tanks up to 350- 400 gal tank
    Footprint:17"x16"
    Tall: 27"
    Body: 10"
    Neck: 6"
    Pump:Askoll 1500 with custom machined volute and pinwheel
    Price: $799*
    http://www.reefspecialty.com/<wbr>Protein-Skimmers-Hurricone/<wbr>c21_69/p374/NEW-Hurricone-CAT-<wbr>2-External-Protein-Skimmer/<wbr>product_info.html

-----------

Thanks to 3reef sponsor Reef Specialty for the heads up! 8)
    These skimmers look really nice. What say you?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Interesting. They all seem to be standard Octopus skimmers with now different model numbers. I wonder if CoralVue took over the distribution end of Reef Octopus for the states?

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Not sure about all that but I believe that these Hurricone skimmers have better pumps.

5. Jr Aquatics

Jr Aquatics 3reef Sponsor

It depends on if your talking about the old line with octo pumps (not even close to comparable) or the newer Oct Extreme line with the Sicce pumps(not as reliable and must use mesh to gain the numbers the Hurricone gets with pin wheels). The Hurricones bodies are more closely matched with the Reeflo skimmer (built like a tank). The Askoll pumps are what really set these skimmers aside from the Octopus line. These pull massive air with the finest of bubbles. All other octopus skimmers are like toys compared to the Hurricones. None of the other skimmers has quality CNC precision cut materials, this is a large factor in quality and overall performance. Hurricones are the pinnacle of skimmers for CoralVue.

6. james37128

james37128 Coral Banded Shrimp

I have the last model, the octopus pro 300. It has this pump and it's awesome. The smooth transition to the neck in these new skimmers will help performance of an already awesome skimmer. The best part is, the price for the new hurricone is the same as the old pro 300!

7. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

I was debating waiting until they came out before I made my skimmer purchase but with the fact I only had 25" to work with it wouldn't fit anyhow. I decided on the Octopus Extreme 200, which looks nearly identical in specs and visually only shorter and with the Sicce not Askoll. I know a guy that helps ATB develop skimmers, I should ask him how MUCH difference there will be on the Hurricones.

Happy reefing and skimmer gawking!

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I might be wrong, But I believe the extremes/pros could be bought with the pin wheels as an option from the factory. But they did have the sicce pumps. They seem to follow the same theme with them being 100, 200, etc as these being cat-1, cat-2, and so forth. Either way I am sure they are great skimmers. I love my little octo BH-100F, and have been looking into the bigger octo's when I get my big tank going

10. james37128

That is true that the sicce pumps on the extremes and the pro versions that had the sicce pumps would come with a pin wheel impeller. But to get the same amount of air pull as the askoll pumps, you would have to have 2 sicce pumps and both mesh modded. The sicce pinwheels wouldn't pull nearly as much air as a mesh modded one would. With the mesh mod comes bi-monthly maintenance re-meshing and also pump startup issues.

11. Jr Aquatics

Jr Aquatics 3reef Sponsor

Seeing your location you must be talking about Jon AKA Hansmeister. Great guy with a wealth of knowledge. Like my self I know Jon is a big fan of the Akoll pump. It is not just the pump though that makes the difference it is the extended cone transition and long neck that is a key factor in reduction of turbulence for ultimate foam extraction.

12. james37128

Anyone get one of these yet? I can't wait to see one in action.