SWC 160 Cone Review/Set up

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by xmetalfan99, Mar 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I received my SWC Xtreme 160 Cone skimmer this evening while I was at work. I almost left early, but figured as I was the only employee and the store still had 2 hours before close I should stay.

When I first opened the box and saw the size of the collection cup I was worried that it may be to big. After I removed the skimmer from the box and its foam padding I peed myself due to its sheer beauty.
    [​IMG]

While I was making steak for dinner I decided to set the SWC Extreme 160 Cone up. I was done setting the skimmer up before the grill was heated. That is how easy it is to make sure everything is assembled properly and install it in your sump.

I spent the rest of my time "cooking" messing with the water flow valve to get the microbubbles where I wanted them. This was a little bit of a pain and I feel I will have to mess with the water flow a bit after the skimmer breaks in.

Here is the skimmer as I have it set right now:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First impressions:

• Skimmer is very quiet.
    • Collection cup is huge (at least to me) It holds 24 fluid ounces before reaching the lip where the bubbles overflow
    • Almost no microbubbles right off the bat
    • Instructions could have included recommended settings for water flow and air intake

• is 8" deep enough for this skimmer? I had a hard time raising the microbubble level and keeping it up
    • Power cord for pump is extremely short. Maybe 4 feet tops.

Tips as of now:

• Make sure you take the skimmer apart and reattach the bubble plat to the pump. Mine was not attached to the pump and the plate itself was not screwed in.
    • Leave the air valve all the way open or else the pump will get loud
    • Don't drink before opening box unless you have depends on.
    As of now I am very pleased with this skimmer. It is my first truely in-sump skimmer and has exceeded all start-up expectations. I will keep updating this as I progress with my tinkering.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

4. slocal

slocal Doot!

:laugh5: omg hahahahahaha

5. coloradoReef

coloradoReef 3reef Sponsor

I may have to qoute this on my website!;D

6. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

What can I say, I was excited.

1 person likes this.
  7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Close the water valve as much as you need to to get the breaking bubble in the middle of the neck. Right now those braking bubbles are not even to the base. The skimmer will continue to break in for a week or two even though you will see skimmate by tomorrow. You will continue to open the valve to keep the bubbles in the neck. They should begin to break about half way up the neck. Just a ball park for you. From there you can get it more or less dry.

The recommended depth is 6-9 inches, so you are right in the middle...on the deeper side... that will be more on the wet side. Less back pressure and easier to get the bubbles up the neck. Leave it there for now till it breaks in. No use in doing any fine tuning till then. Just let it go, and then figure out what you want later.

What air valve are you talking about, there should be no such valve.

8. Click Here!

9. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

[​IMG]

Hey....European!!!

10. divott

divott Giant Squid

thnx xmetal for this review. i look forward to reading your progress. i talked with mikej today, and have my own 160 on the way. glad your my guinea pig and the 1st thing tomorrow i do is go buy a pair of adult depends. :) good luck and keep us\me informed about the things you notice.

11. coloradoReef

coloradoReef 3reef Sponsor

The 120 and 160 cones do have air control

1 person likes this.
  12. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Thank you for those tips. You can rotate the top of the air silencer to control the amount of air going into the skimmer. I believe I have it all the way open.