Zoos...poisonous

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by saltyfish922, Feb 16, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Raven,

Just another Dr. question! ;D

I was thinking along the lines of , the stings are not in and of themselves life threatening, but the allergy and following reaction..right?

Like Gresham said, he has had all sort of exposures to lots of critters and suffers no serious harm....but if one were allergic...there is the potential for serious harm in the reaction? :huh: :)

Thanks for lending your expertise, BTW

2. Click Here!

3. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Yes you are correct Birdlady.  You can be immediately allergic with varying degrees of reactions from local inflammation to immediate anaphylactic shock. Or from repeated stings you can become sensitized and then have an allergic reaction with the next exposure.  Just like bee stings or drug allergies.  People usually don't break out in a rash from a medicine with the first dose.  It's usually after repeated doses but there are exceptions to the rule.
    And thanks for the karma BTW. Whats your bird name and how many words can it speak? We had a lady here in town whose A. Grey flew out her window and lost it. She had it for almost 25 years. I'd love to have one some day. They are the sweetest parrots. One of the pet shops here had a smaller species of A. grey, I almost bought it for $1500 but my wife would have thrown me out with all my pets- 2 dogs -italian greyhound and giant schnauzer along with lizards and fish,LOL.

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

PM'd ya Raven....STAYING ON TOPIC HERE!!! ;) ;D 8)

5. Save_the_Reef

Save_the_Reef Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I hate sting rays. I got stung in the foot, right on the vein. Felt pretty nice for the next 6 hours sticking my foot into a bucket of hot water, hunched over playing Mario on the hotel video game network that charges 5 bucks an hour.

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

7. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

Anthony Calfo talks about this in his book on Coral Propagation. It turns out he was fragging some type of zoos and after the slice he put the razor in his mouth. The reaction must have been something like this: [smiley=drool.gif]

He later goes on to tell how it happened to him two more times.

Watch out with the eyes when fragging especially if you are using clippers or breaking rock. Just imagine a splinter of rock slice through a zoo and snap you right in the eye ball.

[smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=dizzy2.gif] [smiley=freak3.gif] [smiley=pirate2.gif]

8. Click Here!

9. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Sorry hope this post isn't dead but I just got some zoo's how tolerant are they of lower light levels I have 220 watts c.f. I have the zoo's way up near the top
    Could they come down some?
    any one know?

10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

David, start a new thread, thats way too of topic fo this one, thanks :D