Zoos...poisonous

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by saltyfish922, Feb 16, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

[quote author=Gresham link=board=General;num=1108562392;start=0#3 date=02/16/05 at 14:21:17]I wouldn't put to much time into worrying about that toxin.  Over 20 million zoa colonies have enterred that states, how many people have been injured? 3 reported cases, one being  VERY suspect of being simply an anxiety attack (same symptoms as the toxin).  Terll the collectors to be carefull, they'll laugh all the way home :)

Some people MAY be affected, most aren't.  People are scared of Lionfish, they think they'll die if they get stung.  Stung six times now
    [/quote]

I was stung only once....it hurt far more than getting stiches on the inside of my lip (no anestetics)....maybe i reacted different than most but they gave me some VERY strong pain meds which did nothing for me....I went to the hospital when i started getting chest pains....6 times is crazy. I wanted them to sedate me.

2. Click Here!

3. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

opps...almost forgot my input....I have touched and fragged alot of zoos....never so much as a rash...? :)

4. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

[quote author=birdlady link=board=General;num=1108562392;start=0#7 date=02/16/05 at 16:32:17]
    if there is an allergic reaction, it could be bad.
    [/quote]

Yes like anaphylactic Shock

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I guess the bottom line here is that reefers should be aware of the potential and make their own decisions based on their health and other factors. Taking precautions, such as gloves, is not a bad idea. :D And protective eyewear when fragging. ;D

6. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

HOLY crap his dog died...wow that sucks...omg...that is so not cool.....lol i an not gona frag zoos lol....

7. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

I'm an ER doctor and repeated exposures can either sensitize you and potentially put you at risk for anaphylactic shock or desensitize you.  But most likely the former.  Its like bee stings,  You can have aminor reaction one time get stung again with no reaction and the next sting can then cause anaphylactic shock, circulatory collapse and respiratory failure leading to death!

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I've handled tons of epizoanthids. At first, my arm would go numb (and I was "nervous" to say the least ;) ) and recover hours later. after doing that weekly for months, the sensation went away. Same with my 1st lionsifh sting. It hurt pretty good. Second was so bad, Third as a bee sting, The rest were just a prick with some swelling. The worst yet was from a rock cod. That HURTS!

FWIW, I have friends that have REALLY bad reactions to things I find casual. I can handle any sponge at work, but a friend of mine will brake out in hives on contact with any sponge. Same with hydnopora, another friend got nailled by one (sweeper tentacle) and you can still see the scare to this day. I handle hundreds of hydno's, I've nver had a problem. Wish I could say the same about lactouse (mildly allargic).

10. saltyfish922

saltyfish922 Feather Duster

Raven,
    Now is this from exposure to the water or from actually handling the creature? I feel an anxiety attack coming on! [smiley=freak3.gif]

11. Black_Raven

Your safe with the water and I wouldn't worry about the corals.  I was just commenting on things like lionfish stings.  I've handled corals and anemonies for years without any effects. Although their are certain animals which could cause some effects like Gresham said. If you ever get stung my a marine animal soak the affected area in hot water because it deactivates the protein toxin.

12. Black_Raven

Thanks again for the karma Saltyfish.