Zoos...poisonous

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by saltyfish922, Feb 16, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. saltyfish922

saltyfish922 Feather Duster

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

4. saltyfish922

Is there a certain type of glove I should get? I know I will be standing at Home Depot looking at 40 different gloves and wishing I would have asked this. My concern would be a pair that would leave a trace of something behind and kill my nano off.

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I wouldn't put to much time into worrying about that toxin. Over 20 million zoa colonies have enterred that states, how many people have been injured? 3 reported cases, one being VERY suspect of being simply an anxiety attack (same symptoms as the toxin). Terll the collectors to be carefull, they'll laugh all the way home :)

Some people MAY be affected, most aren't. People are scared of Lionfish, they think they'll die if they get stung. Stung six times now, many other creatures that have stung/bit me hurt far worse. People can die if they eat peanuts, not me. Does that mean all people should avoid eating Snickers?

Wearing any surgical glove is fine for your tank.

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

[quote author=birdlady link=board=General;num=1108562392;start=0#1 date=02/16/05 at 09:17:25]I believe the palytoxins are released if you are stung, or ingest one, or are fragging and breaking the skins of the critters.  If you have allergies, you should be wearing gloves to work in your tank.

Iodine allergies can be pretty serious. (as can all allergies)  Your reactions may get gradually greater, or become very serious .  Wear gloves ;) :D

Related 3 Reef thread...

http://www.3reef.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=General;action=display;num=1076555015;start=7#7[/quote]

Wouldn't repeated expsure lesson the reactions? They inject small amounts of venom into animals to get antibodies (sp?). After repeated exsposure, the animals produce more.

7. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

[quote author=Gresham link=board=General;num=1108562392;start=0#4 date=02/16/05 at 14:23:31]

Wouldn't repeated expsure lesson the reactions?  They inject small amounts of venom into animals to get antibodies (sp?).  After repeated exsposure, the animals produce more.[/quote]

Yes is some cases but
    Some chemicals and poisons have an accumulative effect in your body 1 exposure to it will not kill you but the toxin builds up in your system until it reaches a toxic level and just a minute exposure can kill you after the toxic level has been reached.  ( I was a licensed pesticide applicator )

..................................................................John

8. Click Here!

9. saltyfish922

Can you tell I resemble the 1 that had the anxiety attack? [smiley=anxious.gif]
    Thank you for clearing that up for me, although i did go out and purchase some elbow length latex gloves!

10. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

[quote author=Gresham link=board=General;num=1108562392;start=0#4 date=02/16/05 at 14:23:31]

Wouldn't repeated expsure lesson the reactions?  They inject small amounts of venom into animals to get antibodies (sp?).  After repeated exsposure, the animals produce more.[/quote]

The difference being (andI am a believer in Homeopathic meds, which are based on the principal of small exposures actually benefiting the body in certain cases) that the exposure is to an allergen. Allergies can worsen over time. I know lots of people that used to get those 'allergy shots'. didn't do squat! ;)

Allergies versus innoculation ;D

I agree that most of our creatures are fine for most people, but if there is an allergic reaction, it could be bad.

11. saltyfish922

I would rather be safe than sorry. I have been finding out in my old age that I am becoming allergic to things that I never used to be allergic to. [smiley=dizzy2.gif]

12. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Yeah, I hear the age thing. Turning the corner to 40 in the all to near future :p

I aches just to get out of bed anymore!!! LOL!