Zooplex Feeding???

Discussion in 'Coral' started by cerpin_taxt, May 4, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cerpin_taxt

cerpin_taxt Bristle Worm

i was searching through 3reef and saw a lot of people were using zooplex to feed corals. so i got some out of shear curioustiy. just wondering. should shut down my skimmer for about an hour or so after the initial feeding?

2. Click Here!

3. powdertang05

powdertang05 Fire Worm

when i used that and when i use my phyto plank i dont turn it off just put it into a high flow area but i have done it with turning it off my fish seem to not care but i saw no difference

4. cerpin_taxt

cerpin_taxt Bristle Worm

5. powdertang05

powdertang05 Fire Worm

i would recommend cyclops or phyto plank i had no luck with the zooplex but the frozen cyclops worked the best for the SPS and LPS

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Zooplex is a much smaller partical size. so it is possible you wouldn't see huge short term benefits. Basically zooplex is the food for the coral's food. Plus a lot of filter feeders like coco worm and feather dusters.

Phyto and zoo are very different phyto is plant based cells while zoo is animal based cells. So eat feeds a different organism.

7. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

The best way to get corals to eat is to direct feed microscopic food like powdertang mentioned, cyclops and/or small frozen plankton.

8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Not all corals eat zooplankton, some eat phytoplankton so mix it up. I like to use Cyclops and Rotifers as well, plus oyster eggs are a big hit as well! I turn my skimmer off for a few hours after feeding.