Zoo Med Aquatic Power Sweep Powerhead Wavemaker

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by pks4life420, Aug 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pks4life420

pks4life420 Fire Worm

Does anyone know how well these work and would you recommend and thing better and a value price...thank in your inputs.....Here is a link to petcos...yes petco's page:-[ I know, i know, but sometimes their prices are better:bigcry:

Zoo Med Aquatic Power Sweep Powerhead Wavemaker at PETCO

2. Click Here!

3. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Well the price there at petco is not bad.but imho I don't really care for them.I have the one you listed here in a 20 gal tall.don't really feel its strong enough.I have also used the next size up.a little better,but again was not to pleased .plus they are pretty bulky looking in the tank..but this is only my 2 cents...

4. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

They are ugly filters that are oversized and not powerful enough for a reef. The one on the link I think is 118gph. If your looking for low flow they have really tiny min-jets that would push that much water too. I would suggest getting 2 used koralia 2s or something.

5. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

They are hideous. I have one in my tank

Let me tell you though, it works for what I'm using it for right now.

I have it positioned with the filter horizontally instead of vertically. This is to keep the water surface turbulent. It works. It's ugly. It's cheap. LOL

It definitely isn't enough to power all of the flow you will need in your tank nor should you pick up more than one, LOL. They take up a lot of room! I'll take pics when I get home.

6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I agree with everyone else. Not enough power for the size. The idea is cool though. I think theres some kind of cheap snap on thing for koralias that produces the same effect.

7. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

I used to use them exclusively when I started out. I had all of the biggest version though. I love the idea of an ocsillating powerhead but A. suction cups never hold... B. Not enough flow. C. You need to soak them in vinegar to get the coralline out constantly or they wouldn't move, or at least I had to. The looks and size of them didn't really bother me, I always had big enough tanks I could hide them or not notice them.

If you were to buy one get the 228.

8. Click Here!

9. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

My suction cups are pretty good, haven't had issue there but with the sweeper head......even the slightest amount of algae of any kind starts to make it stick. I take a coarse plastic bristle brush (like a plastic grout line scrubbing brush) to mine every so often.