Zoo eating nudibranch?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by GuitarMan89, Jul 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Im pretty sure it's not eating my bubble, at least not yet, I just bought it on Friday and it has just started to fully open, but thanks for the advice, I will keep a lookout, just have one zoa and it's open as are the rest of my corals.

2. Click Here!

3. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

nudi!!!!! I have been pulling nudis out for months now. I got a infested colony of zoas and spent three weeks twizzing them out. Hand twizzing everyone of them. Some days it would be 15+. NO BS. Me and my other reefing buddy would sit in front of my tank for an hour at night with a blue moon light twizzing them. Found it to be very effective. Had them on two colonies and dipped one for the recommended 15 mins, did nothing. Got so fustrated then dipped the other one long enough, maybe 20+ and killed half the zoas. GET HIM OUT!!! The only way to really knock them out is to twizz them. At night and at day. They are easy to get at day time. The zoas will just close when they are on them. I just rinse my hand and arm off and stick my whole arm in and tweez the nudi. It sucks!!!!. If you see little tiny eggs in a circle you can tweez them off two. They stick very well though. Good luck, I FN hate them.

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

a good rule is if you dont know what it is take it out. humans fear what they dont understand, is usually negative but this is the survival of your mini-ecosystem, so its smart. i wonder if this is what god feels like:devilish:

5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Next time do 20 drops of lugols to 1quart of water, dont let them sit longer then 30 mins in the dip. That should kill all the nudi's on the colonies, look each polyp over for egg clutches. Just remember, nudi's will travel through out the tank looking for food, just because you dipped them today, doesnt mean you wont see more tomorrow on it. I suggest setting up a QT for the zoas, leave them in it for a couple of month to let the nudi's die off in the display from lack of food, then you should be good.

6. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

do you see my tank. How could I qt the zoas? I did the dip of lugols. It doesn't work on large nudis.

7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Yes it does work on large nudis. If the way you dipped didnt kill them, then you didnt use enough in there. The instructions on lugols reccomends 40 drops per gallon for dipping, but thats grossly understated in my opinion. I use a 2quart rectangle tupperware bowl, fill it almost to the top with the corals in it, add 20 drops before I put the water in so its sure to mix with the water. Then I go back over each colony/frag adding 1 drop to each one so it gets saturated in lugols.

As I was recently shown, there are more then one type of lugols. Im referring to the Lugols Expert Series that comes in the 1oz bottle.

Also the baby nudi's are not much bigger then one of the eggs and almost impossible to spot. Thats why I do the one drop per colony/frag.

I'll look and see if I still have the pics of the eggs.

8. Click Here!

9. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

There is 2 egg clutches in this pic. The polyps pictured are the tiny zoanthid species, the ones as small as a pencil eraser, so you get the idea how small the eggs are.

[​IMG]

10. jptrson

jptrson Feather Duster

One bit of advice, very important IMO-IME wear goggles when looking through your Zoa's.
    A tweezer poke in the side of a polyp and a squirt in the eye your in big trouble.. Believe me.:sick2:

2 people like this.
  11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

thanks for the advice

12. kFAMOUSK

kFAMOUSK Skunk Shrimp

Zoo eating nudibranch for sure