Zoas

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by tom.n.day, Sep 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

I bought some Zoas a few weeks back. One of the 2 frags I got was actually a large colony. The polyps seem to extent when I turn on the lights etc but they seems pretty drab. Anything I should be looking at? I think my par 30 lights might be too much for them but they are on the sand and my trumpet coral seems to love them. Thanks for the help

2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

How blue does a PAR 30 look to your eyes. It's the blue spectrum that causes the fluorescence in corals. Blue= POP, Whites, yellows, reds = good growth, not so good looking to the eye or drab.

4. tom.n.day

It has 2 royal blue, 1 other blue (maybe cool?). 1 neutral white 1 cool white I think. I know that of the 5 led's in each bulb (I have 4 bulbs) 3 are blue and they look bluish but not outlandish.

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1

Also, if your light was too intense, they would close; so if anything, it might not be enough. You can try moving them higher up and see what happens.

6. tom.n.day

I thought Zoas were "mid to low" in the lighting scheme of things? My trumpet is under the same amount of light and it thriving. The anemone runs away from the light often. It is driving me nuts!