zoas just aren't apreading

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by muggle, Mar 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. muggle

muggle Purple Spiny Lobster

My zoas don't do anything, they open, they close, no spreading, i thought these guys would spread but nothing, just the little frag pieces I bought, I know I have enough light, they've been in the tank for 5 months and don't like my tank conditions or something

2. Click Here!

3. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

I have some that are receding like my hair line. :) others zoas I have look good though. my 4 polyp red/green zoas just made a 5th polyp. im happy with that progress. its been in the tank for 1 month.

4. muggle

thanks, kick a man when he's down, just kidding

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ive had mine for like 3 months and they are finally starting to spread they are growing very rapidly now, i get new heads every single day, strange how yours are taking so long i thought 2 or 3 months was quite a while but 5 months, wow

6. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Lol
    Mine don't spread either. I don't know why.
    Most likely, it's a problem with the water flow. Try putting more flow on em and see if that helps any.

7. 10001110101

10001110101 Fire Worm

zoas seem like they grow in spurts sometimes.

5 months should see some growth however. honestly even if you just started with one polyp, and that polyp was a slow growing variety like a purple hornet, you should have at least 4-5 polyps, if you started with 4 or 5 polyps typical on a frag, you should easily have 20-30+ polyps at this point...

post up your tank parameters, filtration lighting, the more you put up the more help people can be.

what other corals do you have and how're they doing??

the only time my zoas ever stopped really growing was when i bleached two of mine by putting them only about 4" away from my lights which were only PC at the time... but 6500k spectrum... so yeah i guess they cooked, they have recovered somewhat and are growing, but at a snails pace in my fuge

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. muggle

tank paramaters, nitrates 10ppm, calcium 450, alkalinity 7-8 dkh, ph 8.2, salinity 1.025-1.026, this tank has been operating for approx 5 months, and was upgraded from an existing tank of approx 1 yr old, 2-250w metal halide lights, protein skimmer in my sump, what else, lights on approx 8 hrs a day.

10. stonewilled

stonewilled Feather Duster

Don't feel bad, I got a zoo frag about 6 months ago that had like 20 polyps on it originally.. I think it might have 21 now. Mine act just like yours, they open and close daily, and they have definitely grown in size, and they stand much taller now(growing towards the light). But they just don't procreate.

11. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

+k for Clutch

Mine have been in the tank for about 1.5 months now with no spreading but some mild growth (no new heads but the heads on mine have gotten longer). My GSP is spreading like crazy though. I used to have the zoas in a medium flow area and now they're placed directly to the left of the general area where my korali flows converge so they're getting crazy flow. I'm hoping this helps and I see a growth spurt soon.

good luck!

12. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

something may be picking at them (crab, fish) keeping them from growing. Magnesium level? Not sure if zoas rly need high mag but i try to keep mine at 13-1400 just in case they need em. having the nitrate at 10 should be finnnne for zoas. I had a large colony of 50+ that didnt seem to grow for a few months just got bigger and then out of no where i had a colony spring up about 6in away.