Zoas ...for dummies?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Sharkbate, May 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pelado

Pelado Montipora Digitata

Strangely enough some of my zoas are doing great on the sandbed and others needed to be moved to a higher spot. I guess you gotta try...

2. Click Here!

3. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

From my experience Zoanthids are very hardy – I have colony’s growing at the top of my tank and on the sand (so anywhere from 5 inches to 24 inches from MH’s). I always thought they required medium flow, but as I think of it my highest colony is high flow.

Did you feed them? You can target feed them meaty foods – when I target fed these in the past the growth rate was phenomenal.

4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Really? You can target feed meat to zoas??

5. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I occasionally squirt cyclop-eeze on my zoas as I'm feeding the tank. Some eat, some don't.

I've noticed my palys and longer skirted zoas eat more that my others do.
    It's pretty cool to watch my yellow polyps eat as you can see the cyclop-eeze inside them when they're done, LOL.

1 person likes this.
  6. Crimson Ghost

1 person likes this.
  7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Wow, I had no idea. lol They don't look like meat eaters to me....haha thanks for the link!!

8. Click Here!

9. Crimson Ghost

whippy - just saw you posted as I was typing...I did not complete my thought on Cyclop eez and I noticed ytou mentioned it as well. I was unsucessful with target feeding - but the other tank folks enjoyed it !

10. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

What I do when i feed it is to turn off the flow to the tank completely for about 30 minutes.
    I use a small pipette or syringe to spray food over the colony and let it settle. I usually feel them as I'm feeding my sun coral so the flow is off anyway....

I also make sure to feed the tank well before I feel any of the coral as my shrimp like to attack feeding coral. I saw my old cleaner shrimp punch my duncan in the mouth with his little shrimpy talons to steal the food it already ate!! Little turd :(

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Cool...I'll have to give this a try! Thanks!!

Hahaha I like that shrimp :)