Zoas and Mushrooms Lighting Needs?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by rwill92, Dec 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rwill92

rwill92 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

hey everybody i am needing some information on lighting. I have a 135 gallon corner tank that is thirty inches deep. I want to know what lighting do i need in order to keep: zoas, mushrooms and starpolyps. thanks for any info. ( I cant not have MH ): not enough room or money; also to much heat.)

2. Click Here!

3. NaClCrocodile

NaClCrocodile Skunk Shrimp

Dimensions? MH may be the only way to light well on the bottom for this one. An 8 Bulb 54watt T-5 would be your second best bet.

4. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

pc bulbs will grow softies but they might not be able to reach 30 inches deep.

or you could do some t5's. with enough of those you could keep just about everything. sps ans lps around the top, some softies lower down if you want.

just some ideas to get the ball rolling

5. crashgibson

crashgibson Plankton

I have to agree with the other, if you have to choose PC's or T5's, T's gets my vote!...and hopefully a MH in there somewhere with either choice.

6. s10lowrider1994

s10lowrider1994 Feather Duster

I've got a 20" deep tank with PC lighting and my mushrooms, zoas, gsp etc are all doing great and growing like crazy. I've even got a hammer the size of a baseball under those lights and its very healthy (mounted high in the rockwork). Not sure if PCs would reach the 30" depth, I'd go with a decent T5 fixture and you should be set.