Zoanthus facts

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by bouraganes, Sep 19, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol: By then, the arthritis pain will keep you from working in the tanks anyway....wise guy. Don't make you be the first person I give negative karma to :)

2. Click Here!

3. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

LOL what makes you think you'd be the first? Remember the thread about how God awful terrible I am...but everyone who said so had no idea who I was? lol

I'll give you credit where it's due. You get along amazingly well for your age. ;)

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Yeah, badmouthing should be left to those of us who know you personally :lol:

And what was your name again sonny? :lol:

5. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

They should also look into Heliacus sp. Zoo eating snail. They seem to enjoy them without feeling the effects of palytoxins....

6. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

This Is Wonderful Info For All Newbies. I Read A Few Articles On Toxins In Corals...scared Me To Death But Yet I Still Bought Them. Lol. I Just Use Gloves When Handling Anything.

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Rick,

I'm going to PM Dr. Roy Caldwell of Berkely about this. However, in the mean time....enquiring minds need to know. I put Heliacus and Hapalochlaena lunulata into Google and Google Scholar and didn't find anything. Do you have any links?

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

No worries...just use common sense. I recommend gloves but if you don't use them, wash your hands well after your hands have been in the tank. Never rub any mucous membranes (eyes, nose, mouth) until you've washed. If you're fragging zoos and you don't wear eyeglasses, get a cheap pair of goggles from Home Depot. (An aquaitance of mine got squirted in the eye and mouth when fragging....he had to go to the hospital). Keep Benadryl (or similar) in your medicine cabinet. (I told him to take Benadryl and the ambulance workers gave him even more via I.V. while en-route).

Last but not least....know what toxins you might have in your tank. These might be from box snails that Rick is talking about, might be palytoxins from Zoanthidae, might be Mycobacterium marinum from fish, toxins from specific fish like foxfish, etc.

10. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

that's very interesting, i'm glad you brought that up...i'll definitely have to follow up on that.

p.s. don't mess with the mods...they'll make you wish you were up against a blue-ring instead of knocking at their door. :)

11. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Heliacus sp. Guy is a zoo eating maniac of a snail. Hard shell that coils and looks like a sun dial. They are also known as "sun dial" snails.

Here's a link to a pic of one in action. I'm intrigued as to how they devour the polyp. I've experienced these types of snails in my reef. However, they tend to be easily removed and do not seem to spread fast. Of course, if you take them out the moment you see them and not let them thrive. They seem to just eat zoo's and sleep. :D Good thing about this pest is that they are easily spotted and can easily be removed by hand. They also hang around the zoo colony they are currently "working" on so they wont go anywhere and are easy to track down. Now the nudis... ugh.. that's bad.

http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/img/faq_heliacus2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'm as gentle as a pussycat.....truly:lol: