Zoanthid Toxins

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by BorntoReef, Feb 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

I was wondering when you were going to chime in, Brandon :D

2. Click Here!

3. fishtongue

fishtongue Astrea Snail

Born and raised in the Florida sun. Fort Lauderdal
    This is shocking news to me. I have been a fragging fool. I had no idea of the danger. I have been in the Hobby for a while, why is this not well known? Are there any reported deaths from Palytoxin? I have been fragging zoas and palys with an exacto knife and without any protection at all. Man this has me worried and even if it is low dose is there risk of chronic contact?

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Several cases of dead dogs that licked the water in a fragging tub not knowing it was saltwater, many cases of people having to go to the hospital and get a transfusion, people having bad allergic reactions (which get worse with each future contact as the histimines build up).

One time I imported 2000 pounds of assorted palythoa. Even though I didn't have any open cuts, I was very sick for the next 5 days.

5. fishtongue

fishtongue Astrea Snail

Im glad i found out now then THANKS AGAIN 3 REEF

6. fishtongue

fishtongue Astrea Snail

What about hard corals like chalice or favia. I have used a dremel with a bone cutter type bit and the smell can be bad can it be toxic?

7. Nick

Nick Bristle Worm

I had my first experience with the toxin today. Although it wasn't a reaction or anything. This thread is old I'm hoping this post will get it bumped up and updated. I had a small frag that had fallen within a crevice inside my lr. I had some trouble removing as there was no place to really grab the frag. I'm afraid I may have damaged some of the polyps against the rock. Once out I repositioned them on top of the LR and using some aquatic cement. This was yet another challenging process. I began to notice a stream of a red tinted substance being released from the polyps and floating away within the water column. It seemed to dissipate soon after. I never thought anything of it, except oh wow maybe this is that toxin everyone talks about! I'm hoping it doesn't affect any of the near by corals I have. So far it doesn't appear to be. It's been six hours since the event....

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I believe the toxin is found within the tissue of the zoanthid and the mucus. I can not even touch zoanthids much anymore without a reaction and I am not even allergic to anything. You can not be too careful when it comes to zoanthid toxin in my book.

10. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

I know someone that fragged a zoanthid colony out of water and it squirted out into her eye. She went to the emergency room and was out the same day with a swollen eye. I also know a couple people that said they were dizzy and sick after fragging for a few hours.

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Does this just apply to fragging and touching the coral, so you're harming it and it's releasing toxins because or injury,stress, etc.? Or can you get a reaction from just putting your hands in the tank water?

This is kind of freaking me out!!

And how fast does the reaction occur?

12. Nick

Nick Bristle Worm

hmm good stuff. It doesn't appear I'm too much affected by it. Although my fingers were behind or upstream if you will of the cloud of toxin being released. If that was even the toxin. My polyps are red and orange and the cloud released was about the same color as them.