Zoanthid tips and help

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by The Real 118, Jan 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. The Real 118

The Real 118 Plankton

as said i was looking at getting a lot of colonies to start fragging and i wanted to start with Zoa's cuz i was told the are easy to care for and i like the way they look :D what is the basic setup for this kind of coral??

2. Click Here!

3. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

Low-medium-high lighting, dont need alot of flow really..

Pretty easy coral to care for. i have grown tons of them into large colonies. I ran a T5HO with 2 koralia powerheads and a small HOB filter and a skimmer(i had other corals in the tank also though) I dont think you need a skimmer for keeping zoas though.

4. The Real 118

The Real 118 Plankton

ok cool i want to set up a main/show tank the i keep the mother corals i have a 40 breeder that im setting up i think i will do that in and then i have two 10 gallon tanks that i will put the frags in

5. Zoanthids21

Cool! good luck with it!

I have a 14g biocube that is my current reef tank, i am transfering all that over once i get the 29g biocube figured out. I am turing my 14g into a zoa garden basically and having these huge zoa colonies i get from the LFS for pretty cheap and fraggin them up.

6. The Real 118

The Real 118 Plankton

nice well good luck to us both lol do u now what they mainly feed on?

7. Zoanthids21

They dont feed on anything, palythoas do..The only difference between the two is that palys normally are bigger and zoas are smaller polyped.

If you get a paly frag of like Nuclear Green palys(pretty common)..I fed them twice a week, the went from 2 polyps to 5 in 2 weeks..Incredible growth rate.

8. Click Here!

9. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

To increase growth try to get your nitrates between 10-15. They will actually do better and grow faster under these conditions.

10. The Real 118

The Real 118 Plankton

ok cool thanks for the info