Zoanthid peeps what is the issue?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Corailline, Mar 24, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

A Furan dip may work. I think I read somewhere that it has helped unknown melting.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

Post move into partial shade I'm seeing more heads reopening. Just to be difficultI realized that this move put the zoa about 2 inches further away from a platygyra colony that has been putting up some impressive sweepers at night. Its now about 7 inches away. Its possible that the decline I observed in my zoa was damage from sweepers over time. Time will tell I guess

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Thanks for the update.

My blue colony totally closed up and may die.

My purple colony is still showing some closed polyps and totally browned.

No pest found, no near by corals.

I either nuked them with the new light or it's disease.

Hope yours turn around for you.

5. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Except for being closed up and a little melty and slightly discolored, they look fine. :confused: Sounds more like the light as I typed that.

On a side note, there was a good article about Zoa eating gastropods in the last Coral magazine. Looked just like an issue I had, which would explain why the Furan2 dips did not really help.

6. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

new lighting may be the issue, but I have read and experienced where certain zoas thrive for a while and then suddenly melt for no reason. there are tons of threads out there on this with no definitve answer to the cause. this leaves many people frustrated to the point that they give up on keeping them. especially if you have an SPS dominated tank and tend to keep nutrients fairly low or very low. I had some in my tank for well over a year that was purchased as a decent sized colony, and they did not die but they never spread. Then suddenly after 2 years they got happy and now they are being invasive on other corals. I started buying other polyps at this point and they are all spreading like wild fire. I will suggest you looking into dosing Vitamin C as well. I had great results with it.

1 person likes this.
  7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Absolutely 100 percent agree with this as I have always kept Zoa's in my system's and have had similar experiences with them.;)

8. Click Here!

9. louy99

louy99 Feather Duster

My Darth Mauls were great and growing and one day the decided to die on me. It happens I guess

10. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

This is in the newly nuked tank so no aiptasia correct?

11. Chance

Chance Bubble Tip Anemone

The first image looks like when my Frogspawn and hammer got too close to my paly's. I don't think they ever physically touched though. Coral warfare? That's my guess.

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hi Jerry,

The blues have not opened since I posted this issue. They have shrunken, but not melting. I see no disease signs or symptoms so I am going to chalk it up to light or some unforeseen change that I can not change.

I will check out the article, thanks.

:)

Hey Chris,

I have considered Vitamin C in the past, seen some good threads else where on it use related to zoanthids. I might give it a try.

Thank you for bringing up this point I had not considered it.

Small tank I am doing something this zoanthid is unhappy about.

Exactly!!!!!

Nope, no near by pest what so ever. The frag that does have two small aiptasia on it is fine too. About to nuke those.

Hi Chance,

My tank is slim pickings coral wise and there is not coral next to these.

Two LPS on the other side and only sps none close enough to do damage.

But I moved the two affected colonies so we will see.

:)