Zoanthid Palytoxin

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by socal86, Jun 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. socal86

socal86 Fire Worm

alright i have been reading more and more stories of this and find it very interesting since i have some of this coral and handle it all the time when i rearrange my DT and do water changes here is what i found from Wikipedia.com

Some zoanthids contain the highly toxic substance palytoxin. Palytoxin is one of the most toxic organic substances in the world, but there is an ongoing debate over the concentration of this toxin in these animals.[citation needed] However, even in small quantities, the toxin can be fatal should it be ingested or enter the blood stream. If delivered immediately, vasodilators injected into the ventricle of the heart can act as an antidote.[1]
    In order for this toxin to be dangerous to humans, the average aquarist would need to ingest the zoanthid in sufficient quantities, or brush a recent cut over it. Average handling, propagation and aquarium maintenance is unlikely to pose any danger beyond a localized skin reaction.[citation needed] A 2010 study found toxic zoanthids in three Washington D.C. area aquarium stores.[7]
    Palytoxin is a tumor promoter, and is being studied in relation to signaling pathways in skin cancer genesis.[8] Contrary to common belief, palytoxin can be absorbed through intact skin.[9] The danger of acute poisoning from venomous zoanthids is quite real. An aquarist was poisoned through skin injuries on fingers by a Parazoanthus species, but recovered after 3 days. His zoanthid was found to contain 2-3 milligram of palytoxin per gram.[10] For comparison, the intravenous LD50 dose of palytoxin for a grown man is less than 8 microgram. Thus each gram of the offending zoanthid contained enough venom to kill at least 125 grown men.

2. Click Here!

3. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

There is definitely some caution to be used in this hobby. Just like the people that buy stonefish & sea goblins cause they look cool then find the seriousness of what they now have in thier home. This is just an extension of researching what your buying much like can you care for it in the tank, can you care for any side effects it may have on you. lol.

1 person likes this.
  4. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

I want to resurrect this thread.

We've just had a first hand account of this poisoning from a fellow member in another thread.

After a quick google search I came up with a few documented cases of Palytoxin poisoning due to handling of home aquarium specimens.

Just sayin.. take notice.

5. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Very interesting read. Thank you for sharing. I will defiantly exercise more caution when dealing with my tank now.

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Maybe I should add rubber gloves to the list of things to have when messing with the tank.

Good article. Thanks for sharing.

7. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

it happened to me once fragging zoo's I slice my finger with the razor I was using to frag with and was posioned, I had to have a full blood transfusion.. Now I dont frag anymore, and I always wear gloves

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

wow, I just never thought it was that serious. Thanks for sharing.

10. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

+1. I've known for awhile that I've needed to get a pair lol. I was just telling my wife that I needed a set last night.

11. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

yup luckily my wife was home, I nearly went into cardiac arrest within about 15 minutes. she told the doctor what happened, and I am so glad, cause he was a reef hobbyist too, so he knew what to do. I was in the hospital for 2 days. this was actually just in july! lol lucky I'm on my feet and I still love my zoanthids;D

12. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

I had a similar incident about a year and a half ago.
    While cleaning my tank I accidently smashed some of the palys I had and thought nothing of it. I had a fresh wound on my hand from a hangnail that I ripped off. It bled alot but I didnt think anythng of it. While cleaning the front of the tank I smashed them again a second time with the finger that had the "open" wound. Within minutes I was violently ill and was having a hard time breathing, I phoned my wife and told her what happened and she was going to have to pick our daughter up from school. She was working about 75 miles from home that day and in a moment of what I call "panic" phoned 911 and gave them our address. The paramedics, police, and fire department all arrived to find me near unconscious in the doorway. I was rushed to the ER an dput on all the life support machines to monitor my breathing and heart rate. I didnt regain my ability to function for about 5 hours.
    The ER Dr. accused me of being on drugs and overdosing, which neither were true. My wife printed out an article about palytoxins and took it back to the hospital to show him and he just blew it off and said that was not possible, although all my symptoms matched what the article had said. Sometimes Dr.s are real idiots that act and think like they know everything. I still have those palys even though my wife said I NEED to get rid of them. I explained to her they didnt attack me, I was the one that bothered them. I did move them away from the front of the tank though, and I dont frag them.
    I hope everyone takes these stories seriously because it is incredible how fast you can go from feeling fine cleaning your tank to feeling as though you are dying.
    I still dont wear gloves though.