Zoa pox!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by schackmel, Sep 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

Finally got my zoa tank up and running. All was doing well, until a few weeks ago started noticing some of the polyps were closing up on pieces. I always dip all my zoas and even QT them but figured we had nudibranchs. Dipped them several times alternating between revive and freshwater dip. Never saw any nudibranchs but never saw any signs of pox. Well, tonight on one of our bigger fuller colonies noticed pox all over the stalks:angry: Suprisingly this is one of the colonies that has all the polyps open.

So, will be treating with Furan 2 tomorrow. So frustrated that i missed these

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Tis the time of year.

Hopefully the Furan will do it's magic.

I would not be too hard on your self they are insidious.

4. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

Don't treat everything with furan at once! I used this stuff on a few frags and they all died. Though it works for some people, it is dangerous stuff. It may also be that some polyps can handle it and some cannot. I would try the treatment, but I wouldn't treat everything at once. I thought I had zoapox as well (white stuff on polyps), but whatever the problem was, just went away spontaneously without treatment. Never figured out what the problem was.. Smaller polyps were affected more so than larger ones. Blue hornets were by far affected the most. Then I killed them with furan.

5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

good to know! Thanks!

I think now we are only going to treat the affected corals. Luckily some of my nicer zoas (deep water ones, tubs etc) havent been affected yet. Might just be safe and do freshwater dips on those and then put those back into QT to prevent the spread.

6. epicfish

epicfish Plankton

If the zoa pox is visible, I add Furan2 until it's so concentrated I can't see the bottom of the container. I've had over 90% success rate with this method.

Good luck with the Furan2 dip.

1 person likes this.
  7. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Ive had great success with furan 2 dips. Zero losses. I also found something else that works. My pederson shrimps tend to my zoas and devour anything that comes near them, I've watched them eat a nudibranch and tons of egg things all over the polyps. I call them my little caretakers of my zoa garden. They eat and keep most pests away. Cept algae that is.