Zoa/Paly Id *Update* Armor of God Zoanthids or PALYS?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by zesty, Mar 8, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I think she wants the Pink zoa's with the green mouth and the RAINBOW skirt.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

:wink3: Purple center, orange ring, green ring, purple ring and green skirts please, over easy with a side hashbrowns.

Actually I'll have them all please. Well no not right now, no tank.

@Zesty the only generalizations I have noticed is that the more intense the lighting the more speckled the zoanthid if it speckles. A good example would be Utter Chaos.

If zoanthids or palys that are normally open and start closing for more than a couple hours during the lighting period get suspicious.

Sponges can over grow and kill a colony.

Placing rubble or frags next to colonies is an easy way to frag them.

Sometimes placing one type of colony next to another type might encourage faster growth, they're fighting for real estate.

Personal observations only, results may vary.;)

4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

So are they Palys or Zoas? ::)

Whatever the case, you found a good spot for them, Matt.

5. Corailline

Well Jerry is goes like this, "it depends on where you look". You can find them listed as both by reputable vendors.

What denotes a zoanthid versus a palys for you Jerry?

For me, size, growth pattern and most importantly if they have that sand grain look to the stock.

6. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Honestly, I have no clue, so I looked it up:

Palythoa species are recognized by having a coenenchyme that contains bits of debris and reef elements that help to support the polyp. The colonies may form large tracts of individual colonies that often grow in a curved convex shape and usually remain less than a foot across. They have polyps with wide flattened oral disks and variously shaped tentacles surrounding the outer margin of the oral disk. Their colors are typically more muted shades of brown with some fluorescent elements to the tentacles and oral disks common. They may also have a marbled or striated pattern on the oral disk. Palythoa are normally voracious feeders, accepting food willingly. The overall need for feeding is somewhat questionable, although most zoanthids do not produce enough energy from photosynthesis to meet their daily needs. They reproduce by budding from their stolons, remaining attached and connected by the coenenchyme.*

Protopalythoa is different from Palythoa in that the polyps are not immersed in the coenenchyme. They are undoubtedly closely packed together, but they remain individual. These animals can form small or even solitary colonies, though they are far more commonly found in huge landscapes that encrust the reef substrate. Their polyps are most frequently brown, with usually shorter and blunted tentacles surrounding the oral disk. The tentacles and oral disk (often marbled of striated) are often of contrasting color to the polyp body. These species have prolific mesenteries, often numbering more than sixty.*

Zoanthus are normally much smaller polyps and they do not incorporate sediment into their bases. A divided sphincter muscle is the heretofore base of their classification. They reproduce by budding from the base of the parent colony to form very large mats of stoloniferous polyps which encrust the reef substrate. They are not normally seen to feed on large prey. Zoanthus are normally brightly colored animals, usually with oral disks 1/2" or less across their diameter.*

Sphenopus are very similar to Protopalythoa without sand encrusted polyps. They are found on sandy bottoms, small pieces of rubble, or attached to sea grass blades They are not found on the reef itself. Sphenopus are solitary polyps and never colonial.

http://www.reefs.org/library/aquarium_net/0198/0198_1.html

7. Corailline

Yeah, the sand incorporated into the stock/coenenchyme was how I would tell but some Palys do not display this.
    I looked around after I posted the question, there are common indicators but no hard and fast rules. If you see the sand incorporated then yeah it's a palys but not all palys have that distinction.
    :)

Maybe someone else can elaborate.

Zesty do your zoanthids vs palys have this embedded sand?

8. Click Here!

9. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Wow, such info! I will do some investigating and and some more pictures.

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

What ever they are Matt, yea, looks like you may need someone like.......me to take some off your hands for you! LOL

Those Are GREAT looking, and certainly are NOT Palys- but we already knew that.

11. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Here is a picture using the flash before the light was on this morning. They eat very well, very active eaters.
    [​IMG]

Todd, if I frag these, I'll frag you one. I can't get them to grow on rocks, so I was thinking of just selling the whole colony. Not sure what's going to happen.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

they are so pretty zesty!