Zoa only tank

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by dinkanber, Jan 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dinkanber

dinkanber Skunk Shrimp

And I mean only. No live stock at all

I have an empty 20 gallon that I was thinking about using for my zoa addiction. I had posted up about a 30 gallon tank I have that is now going to be a fresh water puffer tank but someone had mentioned doing a zoa garden in that tank and I love that idea. So since I have the 20 I figured what the heck.

What all would I need. It will only be rock , sand and coral. I have t5 lighting already. Should I run a simple hang on the back filter. Do I need more flow?I

2. Click Here!

3. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Thats what ive been doing, 3 t5's sand, lr. Weekly Water changes. and my zoas, elegance, and softies like it so far. My Rics dont so I'm contemplating adding a skimmer. But if your only doing zoas, you would be fine.

4. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

A hob is fine but it has to be pretty big, I'd get a small powerhead to.

5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Get a fairly high rated HOB, small powerhead and you should be good to go. It's going to be gorgeous!!!

6. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Great idea! A problem that people run into while trying to keep coral only tanks is that it's hard to keep the bacteria population stable. Maybe a small goby or clown would be a good idea so that you don't get a mini cycle everytime you feed corals.:)