Zoa Growth

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by NASAGeek, Mar 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I was referring to the lps he mentioned. I believe he mentioned he had a frog spawn and acans too. I agree with you though, zoas don't really eat solid food and that would just dirty up the water.

2. Click Here!

3. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I mean nailing down which zoas will grow fast, which will grow slow and which will grow erratically. It also depends a lot on the exact tank, I've had zoas that grow like weeds for other people but in my tank they barely do anything so being a fast grower for someone else means nothing to me personally except maybe that it has the potential to grow fast.
    It's all up in the air to me, completely random, until I get them in my tank and watch them actually grow. :)

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Just IME

5. zjpeter

zjpeter Ritteri Anemone

why is it never the good looking ones though? lol. i had a nice big colony of watermelons and they got invaded by some big brown ugo zoas and eventually got taken over.

6. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

How did you test for iodine? I don't think I've seen a test kit for that.

M

7. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

My conclusion on this thread is feed the Acans.

Random luck on the rest.

Be patient.

Sound about right??

M

8. Click Here!

9. Screwtape

Sounds about right, I'm not sure if you can feed ricordia, you could try though. I've never kept them. Careful not to overfeed the acan though, try and keep the pieces relatively small IMO. Large pieces won't necessarily hurt it but it's more difficult to digest.

10. zjpeter

zjpeter Ritteri Anemone

the best stuff i use for my corals is Rod's Food. some people think that it's too small but it's easy to suck up in a syringe and everything i've got seems to like it

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Feel free to go that route, but my advise is "who cares" :p

I wouldn't worry about iodine levels period. Do not dose it, do not measure for it.

agreed.

12. Screwtape

I'm not sure I've seen anything scientifically conclusive about iodine supplementation/testing in reef tanks. There are lots of anecdotes around but I haven't seen anything proven. I've read that iodine is a very complicated system in saltwater with lots of different forms and they all can't be tested for easily and the ones you can test for may not do anything etc. I haven't been convinced that iodine is worth messing with.

As an example:
    Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com