Zoa growth question

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Moby Duck, Jun 15, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

There is a theory that if you place a different type of zoanthid frag within close proximity to another type of zoanthid they grow faster. The theory is that both will try to out compete each other for real estate. In my experience I have found this to be true if all other variables such as lighting and water chemistry are in line.

2. Click Here!

3. Moby Duck

Moby Duck Purple Spiny Lobster

Do the polyps grow? Mine are really really small I want the polyps to grow to a decent siZe hopefully within the next month or so

4. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Ive found this to be true as well. I recently bought a frag "rock" to place all my zoas on so they dont overtake the rock and they have gone mad recently. i picked up a frag to move it and 2 other frags came with it. the 3 had attached to each other over the course of a month.

5. Moby Duck

That's good news, I do have 2 zoa frags but one looks great (sunshine yellow zoa) and one looks not so hot (hasn't opened and might not). How should I place them?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339815742.644485.jpg
    These are the unopened frags, yea bad pic it's from my phone. Is there anyway to help them out?

How close should I place them? Really close??

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

7. Moby Duck

Awesome, il move them as soon as I get home and hopefully it will encourage them to grow

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I placed my 5-6 zoanthid frags on the sandbed when I got them 6 months ago...all within inches of each other. In my experience, either there is no difference in growth rate made by proximity, or they must grow extremely slow when placed farther apart.

I'll have to test this theory again in my 10g. :)

10. Moby Duck

I will let you guys no how it goes if I can ever get my other zoas to open up I may be able to confirm or deny it haha

11. Bella127

Bella127 Astrea Snail

Zoas grow at different rates depends on 3 p's . Placement, parameters , and par

12. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

The polyp size should not increase much, just the number. Depending on where i place them in my rock structure, sometimes i cut the stem off the plug base and then use putty to put them on the rocks. It keeps them closer to the rock surface and makes it easier to spread,IMO. Recently i have been getting my palys and zoas from a guy who uses rocks instead of frag plugs which i really like. Just put the new covered rock in my existing rockwork and im done!