Zoa eating asterina

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by country1911, Aug 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

There are hundreds of different type of Asternia, and yes some do eat zoanthids ( as evolved posted), this I know first hand. Some eat coralline, some other algae, some sps. Identification of the specific type is hard, colors are always variable as are numbers of arms, neither characteristic is definitive enough to make an accurate ID. Basically if you see them eating something that is good enough.

Personally, I really like them as a member of my aquarium as long as they are not eating any corals.

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Before eradicating your stars, check your tank at night around 2 - 4 hours after lights go out. There are other hitchhikers- like sundial snails and certain sea slugs that also prey on zoas but are small, nocturnal, and hide very well during the day.

Yes, there are several species of asterina and some do eat coral, but most do not and it would be a shame if you eradicate the wrong critter and still have a problem.

4. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

I have an asterina infestation.....didn't even think about the bad kind until I started wondering why my zoos and acan frags were always down or closed up. Take a toothpick & follow around the 'rim' where the zoo or acan attaches to the plug or rock.....you'll find them.

Anyway, I got 2 harlequins. When you see no starfish left and your zoos look great, sell them back. I have 3 tanks so this pair will be working overtime for a while.

You find their hideout or cave & catch them at night. Mine hang out around the same spot under a powerhead.

Good Luck!

5. country1911

country1911 Coral Banded Shrimp

Yeah, I have actually seen the stars latched onto the stem of a couple zoas. The next day the zoa was closed and the next day it was gone... Maybe its a coincidence, I will check later tonight after lights out.

Sent from my Evo