Zoa colony smells like death :o

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by tharsis, Apr 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Try CoralRx or Lugols or some other iodine with tank water/sw rather than fresh and leave them in a little longer. They will not be as made after a bath and you treat fungal and bacterial at the same time.

2. Click Here!

3. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

That sounds suprising, was it a reputable place? I had a zoa frag I got in the mail that leaked and was nearly dry. It looked like shipper error and the metal clip at the top poked a hole in the bag(s), so it was damp but looking rather bad. Dripped it anyways, got it in the tank & its doing fine. I thought other than a kenya's and shrooms which can survive a blender (yes we tried this), zoa's are about the next most indestructable and survivable thing out there.

4. tharsis

tharsis Peppermint Shrimp

it seemed reputable and they are a sponsor at nano-reef, other than the dead shrimp everything else looks good. So I don't know...

In any case, the polyps i put back into the tank are slowly starting to open, hopefully by tomorrow they will be looking good to go. I am tempted to pull out the other zoas and sniff em' to see

Blended kenya tree eh? I guess that is one way to frag :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  5. tharsis

well the frags I made are still looking pretty rough. Only 1-2 polyps out of every 10 are opened but they haven't really been able to get comfortable.

I am alittle frustrated with it right now, the fact that i received them unattached is making things hard on me and them. I havent glued them to anything, kinda just wedged them into a crevasse hoping that they would stay...but they aren't.

Last night, the biggest colony had a bristle worm going at it, kind of crazy. The worm actually had shoved it off a ledge accidentally, and it then grabbed it and was trying to tug the whole thing back up onto the ledge. The snails also keep pushing them off the rocks as well and they end up in the back of the tank behind a rock etc.

I want to just let them stabilize but my critters keep messing with them!!! Can I just glue them directly to a rock? Does the rock have to be dry?

6. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

A couple of drops of Crazy glue gel and they should stay down. Dry rock works best because the surface of the Crazy Glue gel turns hard as soon as it hits water.

7. tharsis

so i can apply it directly to the polyps?

is any crazy glue gel ok? Or are there some that are not reef friendly?

8. Click Here!

9. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Apply it directly to the rock and then gently press the polyps onto the glue. Wait a minute or two, then place it in the tank.

As long as the ingredient is cyanoacrylate, it's completely reef safe.

10. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

As long as it's gel, you are good to go.

11. tharsis

sweet, thanks guys. Hopefully once they are secure they will rebound.

12. tharsis

One more question about gluing. What if I want to glue it to a big rock at the bottom of the tank that I cannot take out?

Can i glue it to a small piece of rubble, let it set...then put glue on the rubble and insert into the tank to attach to the rock?