Zapped!!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Robs Reef, Apr 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Robs Reef

Robs Reef Astrea Snail

To keep on top of algae growth I was cleaning all my sponges located in sump, return pump, etc. when I began to feel a tingling, burning sensation in my fingertips. It was like a small sting. Feeling it may be stray voltage, I UNPLUGGED everything and started putting things on one at a time. With a voltmeter, I was getting tiny amounts of electricity that increased with each appliance I turned back on. It wasn't one thing, but all my electrical items. The total voltage was approx. 1 volt AC with everything on. Is this normal? Will a grounding probe solve this? I can't believe that every item is broken an needs replacement.

2. Click Here!

3. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

No this is not normal.I kknow I have 0 stray voltage in my tank.also no shocks when my hand is in there. A grounding probe will be a temporary solution though.

1 person likes this.
  4. JBL

JBL Sea Dragon

I put in a grounding probe for just such things in case. For 12 bucks, its great insurance.

1 person likes this.
  5. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

I think its just the cooler water that changes bloodflow in your fingertips, I get that same feeling.

1 person likes this.
  6. haugcm2

haugcm2 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I think its a good idea to get a grounding probe anyways. I had a Kole Tang mysteriously die, and upon investigation, found that they along with some other fish are very sensitive to any kind of electritivity. Idk, I think its worth having one in there just in case ;)