Yup, Another "WHAT'S THIS?" thread...

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by kzziboy, Sep 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kzziboy

kzziboy Astrea Snail

These "circles" are all over the glass in my 55 gallon FOWLR.
    I have 4-65 watt pc's. Two are 10k super daylight and 2 are actinic.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

what you got there kzziboy

is coralline algae

it uses calcium, magnesium , its not a algae that is caused by any nutrient problems
    but if thats the front of your tank glass, its a nuisance all the same

carfull use of those scrapers that are a razor blade on a stick, can help to remove it
    you need to be carefull not to scratch the glass though

Steve

4. kzziboy

kzziboy Astrea Snail

That's what I thought. The only thing that made me think it wasn't was that my Live Rock seems pretty void of it. I don't have a lot of purple or pink growth on my live rocks at all. In fact, it seemed like I had more when I first replaced the old PC bulbs about 5 months ago.
    Any particular reason why it's going nuts on the glass but I don't seem to see it on my rock?

5. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

coralline like smooths surfaces like plastic and glass. It usually starts to cover these first, then your rock.

6. divott

divott Giant Squid

i assume you want it on your rocks? i might be wrong on this , but when he scrapes the coraline off the glass , could he places the pieces of it onto his rocks qand it would spread from there?

7. kzziboy

kzziboy Astrea Snail

Yes! I would like it on my rocks.
    Here's how it went down...
    First I had about 45 lbs of Live rock with good coraline coverage in my 55g. I then added another 50 lbs of live rock and cycled the tank WITH the older Live Rock. Since then the coraline coverage has faded on my older live rock. In the last month or two, that's when it started taking off on the glass.
    After you add new live rock to a tank with existing live rock, is it normal to have it fade or for the coverage to decrease as the tank cycles?
    FYI the tank has totally cycled an my water parameters are great and have been that way for about 10 months.
    Any thoughts are appreciated!!!