You've gotta be kidding me..

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by CBSurfrider, Oct 14, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

yes your right my mistake. a large water change does alter the balance of your water chemistry in a negative manner however, or so at least i have personally experienced.

2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Absolutely. A large water change can/is a drastic change to chemistry. O2 levels, alk, cal, temp and ph are all going to be different and a sudden drastic change in just one of those numbers can crash a tank.

@OP I would try to save about half the water. And test my new water to make sure as many of the parameters as possible match the water you take with you.

4. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Sorry to hear chris. I'm moving in a week too. Your tank is new enough to where you can reuse the sand. Siphon out the tank water and put your existing live rock in that, preferably a tub. Keep the live stock as stable as can be but remember, your only moving down the road. These fish travel across the globe. Also there is no bacteria in the water worth noting so you'll be ok buddy.

6. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Whats the best way to transport my livestock? Should I bag them individually like how I bought them, or just use a couple 5gal buckets, put the lid on and haul ass to my new house?

Livestock: 4 Blue/Green Chromis, 2 Clowns, 1 Powder Brown Tang, 1 Damsel, 2 Pajama Cards, 3 Firefish.
    corals: Monti, Zoas, Duncans, Dragon Soul Favia (all of which are now starting to flourish).

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  7. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

I would use the buckets,it should be less stressful that way.

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I use a large insulated cooler to help keep temp stable but buckets work too. Get an airator for them too because it might be a while before there back in the tank.

10. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I have moved tanks four times now. It's really not that hard. What size is your tank? If its not terribly big, it will be a lot easier.
    Easiest way to do it is to fit everything into 5 gallon buckets. Rocks in one set, livestock in another. Leave the sand bed and enough water to cover the sand bed in the tank, and move it like that. The biggest risk of cycles or releasing crud is going to be from disturbing the sand bed, so the less you can do that, the better.
    Then just replace everything when you get back. Try to save about 50% of the water if possible. Replace everything that was pre-existing, then slowly start adding the freshly mixed water into the tank. Think of it like acclimation, but water change style.

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Great advice you've gotten CBS. So sorry to hear about having to make a sudden move but sounds like you've found another place so that's great! I would go with buckets too but don't close the bucket completely with the lid with fish in it or put holes in it. Sorry if that seemed obvious, just thought I'd mention.