Your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by NittyGritty, Oct 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

I recently watched a YouTube video made by one of the infamous YouTube reef guys. He said something interesting to me.

He said don't feed our corals. He has LPS, SPS and softies. His advice was, feed your fish, they will food and feed your corals.

What are your thoughts on this?

2. Click Here!

3. budsbunny

budsbunny Bristle Worm

hmmm i feed coral frenzy and reef bugs and if i don't ....feeding the fish doesn't have the same results

4. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking ;). What's your feeding routine?

5. budsbunny

budsbunny Bristle Worm

i'm a minimal feeder ....i feed them small amounts often i don't have any specialized feeders i decided DT's feeds algae they get plenty of the green stuff in the natural water colum and i do the coral frenzy about 3 times a week and they eat flakes to when i feed the fish i do brine shrimp a little here and there when i pass the tank and everyone looks hungry. i'm no scientist reef keeper but i fuss enough but don't over fuss.....i use instant ocean reef accelorator and calcium booster and it works great for me !!

6. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

Sweet. I love hearing people feeding routines, lol.

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

MY thoughts? Totally agree

NOt that you can't feed your corals, but as for my thoughts on the matter, I don't feed mine.

36 different species includes soft, lps, sps, and they all thrive. I don't overfeed my fish either.

But yes, I know you can also spot feed, or water column feed your corals also.

8. Click Here!

9. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I spot feed all of my LPS and NPS. But, that's what I like to do, it's not work to me. They will grow faster with feeding, no doubt about it. Obviously, with the NPS it's 100% necessary, at least in a mixed reef environment. I feed them most days of the week. No particular routine, it just depends how late I work. I wait for the wrasses to go to sleep so it's not a battle. Nutramar Ova, Reef Pearls, Fauna Marin LPS food ground to a powder, and Limpit's Reef Buffet Coral Blend.

10. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

Very interesting...

11. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Strongly disagree for a multitude of reasons. If you are the reading type here is why.

Reef Food by Eric Borneman - Reefkeeping.com

From the Food of Reefs to the Food of Corals by Eric Borneman - Reefkeeping.com

The Food of Reefs, Part 3: Phytoplankton by Eric Borneman - Reefkeeping.com

The Food of Reefs, Part 4: Zooplankton by Eric Borneman - Reefkeeping.com

The Food of Reefs, Part 5: Bacteria by Eric Borneman - Reefkeeping.com

The Food of Reefs, Part 6: Particulate Organic Matter by Eric Borneman - Reefkeeping.com

The Food of Reefs, Part Seven: Dissolved Nutrients by Eric Borneman - Reefkeeping.com

This is serious amount of reading. I would recommend taking notes too. Haha. So much valuable information here. There is no way that we can feed our reefs as much as they would get fed in their natural habitat, that is obvious. However, I strive to get absolutely as close to it as I can, its actually a goal of mine. I feed a mix of phyto, zooplankton, mysis, bloodworms, and various other prepared vegetable based foods as well as a couple frozen blends for carnivorous fish. On top of this I also soak my frozen foods in an amino blend. Kent Zoe and Zoecon to be specific. My fish are fat and happy thats for sure, but the focus is on my corals. I feed absolutely as much as possible, but not enough to affect my parameters. Mostly PO4 and NO3 levels. In my opinion minimalistic feeding is detrimental to corals.

1 person likes this.
  12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If corals did not eat or need to eat they would not have methods of digestion.