Your thoughts on this ATO Set up

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by chelltom, Aug 26, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I had a Thread on it, but with the Forum format change- I can't find it, but,

I can explain it very easily.
    Bascially, it only used Gravity as it's power.
    It all starts with my RO/DI- mines under my kitchen sink b/c the RO goes to a 3g storage tank- to a drinking tap on the sink, and to my icemaker. The DI goes thru my basement ceiling area and over to my basement sump area.
    - at that point there is a John guest plastic valve for on/off purposes- I usuallyu leave it partialy on-
    - this goes to a clear plastic container that is above the level of my sump, and has a nice, plasice, heavy duty float valve with a fairly large float on it. When it reaches the level in the plastic ocntainer I have set on the float, it shuts off the RO/DI input automatically.
    - from there, the line goes to a float valve I have in my sump, the same all plastic, heavy duty valve.
    - this is also set where I want to keep my sump level at.

Doing it this way, any little bvit that evaporates, a little bit of pure RO/DI water is put back. My SG Stays Rock steady and has for years- very important for higher end corals, etc.

The valves are above the water line obviously, and the plastic float is partially in the water.- It is VERY bouyant, it's always going to shut off the flow of water as the water rises- always does, always will.

The whole thing is a low pressure system, needs no siphons, no pumps, no sensors, no electric power, no relays, etc., etc.

The whole thing is less than the $30, and that includes 2 x heavy duty all plastic float valves I got off Ebay for about $10 each shipped.

Here are some pics of parts of it; look closely and you'll see the the container/resevoir above and behind the sump.
    You can see the 1/4" line going to the float valve too I think.
    It's coverd and does have a vent though.
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic showing the final/sump float valve. In order to use it I opted for this kind of set up fastened to the plastic strainer basket shown.
    In this photo, I actually had the JG valve off, I think I had just done a WC, and usually shut it off so I don't add some RO/DI prematurely when the water level is temporarily down in the sump suring the WC.
    [​IMG]

Works awesome, never fails, and I don't think it will, it's too simple!

Billme likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. chelltom

chelltom Skunk Shrimp