Your Opinion on Lights?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Nitroware, May 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nitroware

Nitroware Plankton

I am looking to buy some lights for my tan k. I want to have a reef tank, corals, and fish (obviously). Here are the pecs on my tank:

- Size: 29 gallon
    - Dimensions: 30" x 20" x 12" (w x h x d)
    - Rock: Lots (Probably like 1/3 of my tank)
    - Corals: None Yet, I want to have a Pulsating Xenia, perhaps a clam, Zoo's, A leather Mayby, etc.
    - Has a glass canopy

These were the two that I was considering:
    Odyssea Metal Halide System
    Odyssea Power Compact Lighting

What would you choose? I have a little experience, but it never hurts to ask around...

Thanks in advance!

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

If those were my only choices I would go with the MH. A note of caution glass filters out about 30% of the usable light and the heat from the MH may cause the canopy to break if it gets splashed. PC lights are very inefficient especially over canopies.

I would look into high quality T5HO units and MH units before buying the Odyssea units. With lighting you get what you pay for. Lighting is very important is you want high light requiring organisms like clams and SPS corals.

4. Jim522

Jim522 Purple Spiny Lobster

Alot of people are probably going to advise you to steer away from Odyssea. Some say they will burn your house down :confused:.

I have a 24" 250w MH w/T5's and LED's and I love it. No problems in the past couple years with it. Although I do need to replace the bulb soon.

Also I had a glass canopy over my tank that I eventually removed. It really does look alot better without it, and the tank actually stays cooler. I think the canopy held the heat in.

5. T-BASS

T-BASS Astrea Snail

Good advice- you get what u pay for;)

6. Jim522

Jim522 Purple Spiny Lobster

Sometimes you get what you pay for, but not always.

I think alot of people pay for the name.

7. Nitroware

Nitroware Plankton

Thanks! That is a good idea.

The problem is that I do not have $500 laying around, but I do need decent lighting. I have also heard from friends of mine that I quote:

"They are complete garbage, but they do work great!"

8. Click Here!

9. Nitroware

Nitroware Plankton

I Agree, but sometimes companies have a name for a reason. Just need to research before you buy (much like I am doing now). :)

10. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I have been researching a new fixture for a few months. I think you should look into the Aquatic Life HO ones. They have gotten great reviews and come with everything you need including bulbs, splash guard, moonlights, timer, mounting legs, etc. They are priced very competitively, check them out: http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticL...xtures-AquaticLife-AK01035-FILTFIT54U-vi.html

I have heard decent to horrible things about the Odyssea brand, I had opportunities to get one and I def passed. There are a few stories about the MH version causing fires, better to go with a more quality brand and save in fire damage :).

11. Nitroware

Nitroware Plankton

Thanks for the reply, yes it is def a gamble, however I basically already have that. I found a place that has 29" 24 Watt T5 lights with built in ballasts for $12 a piece (has a basic metal fixture). I bought a piece of sheet metal bent it and made a light fixture. t works, it is ugly, but does work. I was looking for something with a little more quality. That may be what I get.

12. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I've also heard good things about the Wavepoint fixtures, the bulbs that come stock are actually good quality & the reflectors are also good + comes with the splash guard, legs, etc. The only thing I didn't like about it was that all bulbs are controlled by the same plug: T-5 Fixtures at Big Al's Online

The next level up would be something like a TEK light by Sunlight Supply which is what I ended up with: ReefGeek > Lighting > T5 Fluorescent > Sunlight Supply > Tek Light Fixtures

There's a lot to choose from but of course it goes way up in terms of $. I think you'd be happy with the Aquatic Life or WavePoint if they're in your budget, that's def what I would go for if I wanted something under $300.

Also don't forget to take advantage of the great sponsors we have on here, like BigAlsOnline, you can get 10% with the code 3REEF if you get the fixture from there, they are awesome.

Last edited: May 18, 2010