You guys wont believe this!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by oakvad, Jan 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oakvad

oakvad Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

So its about 10:30 pm last night and im sound asleep, here comes the wife running into the bedroom screaming, wake up, wake up, one of the fish jumped out and i cant reach him! :eek: First thing comes to mind is our rainbow shark we got about a month ago ( notorious for jumping) no! its one of the oscars :confused:. So i pull the couch out so i can reach behind the tank and get her, she's lifeless dry, and covered in the carpet lint that usually collects behind a couch. Deena (my lady) says throw her in the tank i said she's dead, but because i always listen to my woman! i put her in the tank and she bolts to life and swims to her hidding spot and starts to stop breathing and float. Deena reaches in and grabs her and starts to wave her back and forth through the water, as to force water through her gills. After about fifteen minutes of this our oscar swims away and is fine today.

Now some of you might say, big deal fish jumped out and you put it back in. No! after some time figuring and discusion we figured at minimum that fish was out of the water for a minimum of 15 minutes.

Is it normal for a fish to be out of water that long and be able to live? I know ive seen shows on tv and certain fish can actually be out of water for days even, just didnt know if that went for all fish

Just thought id share my little story

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Wow, that's crazy!!! Your wife did fishy CPR. Lucky lil' guy!!

4. divott

divott Giant Squid

i had a wrasse jump behind my tank. took a good 5 mins to "fish" it out, covered in dog, lint and whatever. threw it back in and a day later was totally good. didnt notice the next time he carpet surfed, he was crispy. lol

5. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Wow thats crazy, glad everything is ok though. As for the fish out of water scenario, not sure about how long most fish can be out.

6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

wow thats crazy! that fish sure lucked out!

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Wow crazy and lucky. I think survival is probably related to size. Smaller fish dry out quicker.

8. Click Here!

9. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

I do that to bass all the time. Throw them in the back of the truck and haul them back to my holding tank. Shove them back and forth or put their open mouth in front of a pump. As long as you are getting oxygenated water across the gills.

It is amazing how resilient these fish can be. Glad yours worked out.

10. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

I have found the larger the fish, the easier they die to rapid changes.

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

12. oakvad

oakvad Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

i still am amazed, looking in the tank now and just thinking, wholey cow. and how she jumped out through the glass hood still amazes me.

I do know we were waching some fish special on discovery about a catfish, i think, anyway it was brought over by a chinise man and for some reason was released into a small pond. long story short its taking over rivers and lakes here in the U.S. and killing off other species of fish and they cant get rid of it. One of the scientists put it in a cooler, no water and left it for 9 hours, came back threw it in a tank and low and behold the sucker started swimming.