Yo-yoing water level in fuge

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by karenj, Sep 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. karenj

karenj Plankton

The water level in the pump section of my fuge keeps going up and down. I will set it (with ball valves) and it will run fine for hours and then suddenly it will either go down too far or start filling and I have to readjust. I am running with pumps on each end. Would using another overflow be better? I have one going to my sump and of course when the water level goes up in the fuge it goes down in the sump and vice versa. I am about ready to throw one of them out.

2. Click Here!

3. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Pumps on both ends ? can you please explain – or drop a picture of the set up.

If you turn the tank off and the water gravity drains to your sump how much more water can you add to the sump? Absent of further information it seems to me that you have an insufficient amount of water in the system. Turn it all off and add water to the sump.

If the issue is that the return pump is too large, sure add a ball valve or an additional overflow. I like the overflow since I am all about water movement.

What pump are you using and what is your current overflow? Also please describe the plumbing so we can get an idea of head pressure.

4. szrazzt

szrazzt Purple Spiny Lobster

I get the impression that you have water being pumped from the fuge to your sump and then to your tank. You would be better off having an overflow from the fuge to the sump and have the water drain from your DT and then Y to both the sump and fuge.

5. karenj

karenj Plankton

Pictures of set up

I meant I have a pump taking water into the fuge and then a return pump. The fuge and sump are totally separate. Maybe I should get a dual overflow and direct to both the fuge and the sump? The way I have this set up it would be hard to get water from the sump to the fuge.

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      366.7 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      309 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      206.5 KB
      Views:
  6. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

I think if your pumping it in and out you are always going to have trouble. It will be very hard to get 2 pumps that will pump the same volume all the time. there are different ways to do it. You could pump it to the fuge and then run an over flow back to the sump or you could split the return from the tank and feed part of it to the fuge the other part to the sump and then run an over flow back to the sump and not have to use a pump at all. the way I am looking at doing my stand alone fuge is taking one of my overflows from the tank directly to the fuge. then I can drill a hole in the side about 2" from the top and PVC pipe it to the sump. This way I dont have to worry about running an overflow box or worry about getting air bubbles in an overflow tube and possibly over flowing the fuge. Hopefully this will help or give you an idea how to resolve your problem.

7. karenj

karenj Plankton

It would be easy to do an overflow from the fuge to the sump I guess, just drill a hole in my stand. I can't drill the fuge so can I do a separate overflow from the tank to the fuge and then another in the fuge to the sump?