Yo, WTF is my hammer coral doing?!? HELP? .. PICS

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by mario8402, Feb 26, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mario8402

mario8402 Fire Shrimp

I did a 10 gal water change and added seachem ph buffer while I was doing it because tests showed that it was a little low. which may be why my clown has ich but thats a different story. .. no cloudy water, I added it slow etc etc. So slow it took 2 hrs for the water change btw :eek:

So I was minding my own business and out of the corner of my eye I see THIS! There was this gaping hole in the middle of it and this stuff was coming out of it. Most of it was breaking off in the water and now is floating.. will this hurt my other stuff???? It finally quit a few minutes ago and seems a bit more bunched up than earlier. Is it dying, sick, or just taking a dump??

Sorry for all the pics.. I dont ever know which ones will help people see what I am talking about better so I just post them all. Hope no one gets mad! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    it looks to me that it is taking a poo... but, im not sure i have evr seen an lps take one... rofl.

if seen my button polyps do this 2 days after a large meal

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

It's either going to the bathroom or it expelled a little zooxanthellae. The gaping hole is the polyp's "mouth" and yes, unfortunately, they have to poop through their mouth. :-/

It's probably just a little stressed and will be back to itself after a couple of hours.

5. mario8402

mario8402 Fire Shrimp

ok cool. it was really weird.. it looked stringy and would break off at times depending on current and just float around the tank.. seems odd though. The clown was avoiding it like the plauge

1 person likes this.
  6. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

:lol: your having some problems!! take it one day at a time, lol. it does look like poo. my candy cane will do that if i feed it alot. only worry if the whole coral starts to turn white. hope it gets better!! youve had a ruff start into the salt world,

Michael

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

It is expelling zooxanthellae IMO!
    Sometimes coral will expell one strain of zooxanthellae for another strain for better health reasons, or it is expelling zooxanthellae to try to survive as it may be sick, and it is their last ditch effort at survival!

8. Click Here!

9. mario8402

mario8402 Fire Shrimp

I am having problems huh! I have the best luck. . NOT

I have no idea what that is but I was just hoping that it wasnt anything that would hurt the anemone, fish or shroom. I remember reading something about that coral spreading tentacles and killing other corals

I will leave you 2 guys alone sooner or later! haha hopefully sooner

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Zooxanthellae is the symbiotic algae that lives in corals and uses photosynthesis from light to feed the corals. While most LPS corals do have sweeper tentacles, you'll know it when you see it (or see the damage they cause). As a general rule, Euphyllia are not all that aggressive when compared to most other LPS corals.

11. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

Not to worry.
    Mine all do that every time i move them from one tank to the next.

12. mario8402

mario8402 Fire Shrimp

cool thanks man.
    Should I be feeding this thing?
    I only have 1 clown in the tank so I dont put much mysis shrimp in there for it to waste. I read something about spot feeding. Any info?