Yet another Odyssea fire

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Covey, Dec 19, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

2. Click Here!

3. bgcook

bgcook Plankton

i hope they worked out this fire thing. i just bought their new 2007 ("improve electronic ballast??") MH/compact system. the problem i've had so far is that, first they left out one of the MH bulbs. i replaced it with two new hamiltons, better spectrum, and they didn't work (their buld worked with both ballast system, so the unit works). next, i am going to try pheonix 14k 250w bulbs. suppose to arrive tonight, keeping my fingers crossed. spoke with aquatraders a couple of days ago. they had no problem sending me a replacement bulb, as long as i paid shipping. other option was to return the whole unit with a refund (plus pay the return shipping). overall their customer service left much to be desired, but what can you do - i bought a $800-$1000 system for $330, due to the lack of funds - had to try it. i guess if my house burns down, i'll regret this decision.

here's the system i bought;

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=307

keep you guys informed.

greg

4. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

I think they should of UPS Red the bulb they forogt, if they told me i had to pay shipping i would of told them to go to BEEP

your post alone will pervent me from ever buying from them.

5. hitman35

hitman35 Purple Spiny Lobster

Is this problem just with the MH's or is it also with the compacts

6. reef1

reef1 Astrea Snail

MH Odysea light

i bought a MH 24inch Odysea light 4 months from aquatraders. if i had known there are problems with their MH catching fire i would not have gotten one from them it just makes me feel very worry of the problem. my next MH not going to be an Odysea lighting. are there any brand MH have internal ballast built in the lighting unit because the MH odysea is not it has to much wiring and a seperate huge ballast black metal box it takes up too much room!!!

7. euthyphro

euthyphro Flamingo Tongue

Have you heard any news of the new models catching fire? The electronic ballast with seperate plugs for each light.

8. Click Here!

9. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

WOW, im never buying one!! I would rather spend more, and still have a house, lol. Thanks for lettin us know, I didnt catch that one on RC.

Michael

10. apollo'sowner

apollo'sowner Feather Duster

That is a shame with the old ballast wiring systems. I have the newest electronic model and am very pleased with it. It has a separate power cord for the MH, PC, moonlights and fans. It is very quiet fan operation and the unit and ballast stay cool during operation. Sorry to all the skeptics but I would buy another and couldn't be convinced otherwise after careful inspection of the unit and seeing its preformance over my reef.