Yet another Newbie

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by NASAGeek, Nov 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

whatever you want, you could go with that refugium mud if you would like. My fuge consists of a deep sand bed( 3" or so), small pieces of live rock, and macro algae. for my macro algae I use cheato, it helps keep some parameters in check.

2. Click Here!

3. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Any advantage one way or another on sand versus mud??

Also, how much total live rock do you have in both the DT and sump?

Really appreciate the help.

Mark

4. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Okay, here is the update.

55 gal DT, 40 Sump

For lighting, purchased the Nova Extreme Pro T5 HighOutput Current USA 48" - 324 Watts - (3x54 Watt 10K Daylight + 3x54 Watt 460nm Actinic)

For the Protein Skimmer, purchased the Vertex IN-100.

I have an Odyssea 1000GPH pump in the sump and a 1200GPH Overflow box on the DT.

The new lights, protein skimmer and overflow box are all in shipping right now. Thus, I have the pump choked down to a lower flow rate until I get the bigger overflow in place.

Roughly 75lbs Live Rock in the sump or DT. Heater also in the sump.

My wife agreed to let me extend my cabinet and add a separate refugium tank.

What next??? and what is the deal with Calcium Reactors and other reactors?

I'll get some pics posted once I get the new gear installed.

Thanks
    Mark

5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

That looks like the same light as this one:

Odyssea Metal Halide System

It's a little cheaper here and you know it is coming from a reputable, IMO, company. You never know with Ebay sellers.

It's a good start, but like others have said, putting the return section in the middle is better for a fuge set-up. On one end you will have your skimmer compartment, and on the other your fuge. When you plumb your overflow lines to the sump/fuge put a T in to run lines to both ends. In the line to the fuge side put in a ball valve. This way you can tune back flow through the sump and still have full flow into the skimmer side.

A decent sand bed of about 4" and chaeto is what most people put in their fuges.

It is good to drop the baffles down a little as they progress towards the return section.

That should do fine. Most pumps run a little bit more efficiently if they are dialed back. Install a ball valve in the return line so you can adjust it.

Be sure to drill two small siphon break holes in your return plumbing just below the water level. By the sounds of it your return lines go a ways into the water and could suck a lot of water back into the sump in the event of a power failure.

-Mike

6. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

I moved the pump section to the middle section.... had to... the pump section I had planned was too small. It didn't have enough volume to handle the pump... it sucked it dry before could refill.

So, I will have a small refugium on one side, and the skimmer on the other with pump in the middle. Question:: Is there a problem having the pump and the skimmer in the same section??

I did do the plumbing you described. Actually, a little more so I had complete control of flow rates to various areas. Siphon breaks in place in all plumbing.

I am thinking of adding a separate refuge. My 1000GPH pump in the middle goes to a 5 ball value manifold that I built. 3 valves go back to the display tank. 1 recirculates in the sump. 1 is spare. I am thinking of using that spare to feed a refuge to then gravity feed back into the sump. Probably a 10gal tank that I have in the gargage. I can put 4" of sand in there and chaeto in addition to what I have.

One other question. I am getting a lot of "big bubbles" coming out of my inlet tube into the sump. Thus, it is a lot louder than it needs to be. There aren't a lot of bubbles going in from the DT. Any ideas on how to get rid of the bubbles or quiet it down??

I also want to quiet the pump noise. Hmmm... more to work on.

Thanks for the thoughts... always more to learn.

Mark

7. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Yes, there will be problems. Unless you have an ATO the ever changing water level will make it hard to get your skimmer consistently tuned. You may also have problems with micro-bubbles from the skimmer getting into the return pump.

Yes, that's a very good plan. The gravity feed will allow more pods to make it into the DT alive.

A filter sock should help cut down on bubbles and help with the noise.

If it's vibration noise, you could put a pad under it. Neoprene mouse pads work well.

8. Click Here!

9. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

The return section only went dry because there was not enough wate rin the system. But yes, the return section in the middle of the skimmer and fuge section is better. And yes, a bigger return section will allow more lee way with water evaporation.

There really is no need to recirc water in the sump. Just wastes power. However, if you really want to, it does ensure your pump will never run dry. But since you are routing water off your return pump to your fuge, you are in effect providing a recirc for your return pump. So another one is not needed. You have all the pump you will need.

I like putting water down the back of the tank. Cool that you made a "fan", just make sure the opening is not too small and easily clogged. Not that it will clog 100%, just talking about cleaning and maintenance. The bigger the opening, the less velocity. But you don't want any back pressure on the pump either. It will be a good amount of flow, but you will still probably need a power head.

Bulk Reef Supply. Learn it, know it, love it. Start early. BRS is the best for chemicals and all things cheap for reefers. Reactors, water flitration, all chemicals. Very good company. Can't say enough about them.

A Calcium reactor is way off for you. Start with BRS 2 part. Learn your chemicals and test. Get your tank running and learn what it needs. Your requirments will be low for some time till you get good corals growing. I never want to use a reactor. Too complicated. I use automated dosing. Now there will be plenty of other opinions on the matter and you may very well decide to get one some day. But that day is a ways off. You have plenty to do and learn right now.

10. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

mikejrice, Newbie question... can you explain the filter sock? Where? I am assuming at the overflow... after the siphon as it goes down to the sump. What? What do you mean? Sorry. Just learning.

BTW, I am heading to Colorado Wednesday to see my brother in Boulder. I grew up in Colorado Springs but moved to Houston to work for NASA. Where are you?

I need to study this whole set up. I definitely want the 10 gal. Let me work on it and come back. Thanks for the info.

Thanks
    Mark

11. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

12. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

Lookin good so far, I like the idea of the seperate 10 gal refuge gravity fed back to the sump. My own system is setup similarly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]