Yet another LED question thread

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Jodah, Oct 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jodah

Jodah Feather Duster

So i'm in the planning stages of my 20H build. Will start off with a chepy set of t5HO's (probably odyssea) But, I will have this tank setup for a long time. So, on to the questions:

20H tank, figured using a 16" heatsink, and 24 LEDS, a 2:1 of Royal Blue to Cool White, will be a dimmable setup. Also planned on adding two moonlights, just cause i can. :p

Will this be too much? I eventually would like to keep SPS in this tank.

Thanks in advance!

2. Click Here!

3. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Some would say it's too much but I rather have more than enough than not enough. But I wouldnt do 2:1 ratio of LEDs.

4. Jodah

Jodah Feather Duster

ok, if not a 2:1, what would you do then? It seems hard to find solid "rules" if you will about how to set them up. I figured by now there would be some sort of standard for LED lighting.

Just checked my google sketchup design, it's not 24 LED's, its 18 total. 10 blue, 8 white. I'll have to get a pic of it up on photobucket soon here.

One other quick question: optics, which would be best for a 16" tall tank?

ninja edit!: uploaded the layout pic I made up in sketchup, for those on nano-reef.com, it'll look very familiar. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u132/jodah175/20GTLEDSetup.jpg

5. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I went with 1:1 neutral white to royal blue and I think I would have been better going with more blue. The only reason I would have is because I have to almost Max out the blue and neutral is about half way which is fine really for my taste but having the adjustment would have been nice. 2:1 would prolly be to much though. Are you using cool white or neutral white? If cool white 1:1 would probably be fine. What are the M s in your diagram?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

6. Jodah

Jodah Feather Duster

I plan on using Royal Blue and Cool White LED's. The M's are where I would place my moonlights. I figured I'd only need 2 of them for such a small tank, that's also assuming I even run them. Haven't decided on that yet.