Yet another Algae ID thread

Discussion in 'Algae' started by psiclone, Apr 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. psiclone

psiclone Purple Spiny Lobster

No i dont think so I think thats diatoms. The brown will blast off the rock if I hit it with a turkey baster.

2. Click Here!

3. psiclone

I'm a little worried about throwing a ton of livestock or money at it if its something that isnt cureable. Wish someone knew what species it was. :(

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

well its curable, it just might be a PITA.
    its very curable since you dont have fish in the tank, but how about you dont buy any fish or corals until you get it gone. that way nuking is still a option but i dont think you will need it if you do every thing right

keep in mind that you algae will be the worst at the beginning of your tanks life(barring poor husbandry)

so relax all hope isnt lost

5. slocal

slocal Doot!

No, it isn't diatoms if the base of the GREEN algae is brown. I'm trying to identify your algae.

6. slocal

slocal Doot!

How's your aeration/surface agitation?

7. psiclone

Well unless the base blows off the rock then no. The base of the stalks is green

8. Click Here!

9. psiclone

Surface agitation is good. Very Rippley. I had lids on the tank at one point but Pack told me to take them off so I did.

10. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

Hi it looks just like the bryopsis i had in my tank it started off small like your picture & i didnt think to much of it but then a month or two latter it had grown to about inch long & had spread from the one rock to loads off tiny patches all over the tank! I took the rock out off my tank ( which was the one it started on) then raised my mag & removed all nutrients from the water .... my tank had only been running 3-4 months so my nitrate was not total settled, sometimes being 10 before water change.
    Anyway im all good now & its totally gone. Tangster gave me my advice maybe you should seek his help?
    Good Luck
    Kiarah

11. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

+ 1 on Kiarah above - those images do look a lot like Bryopsis to me also

Steve

12. psiclone

It's pretty much seeded the whole tank within a week. Theres no rock untouched. Already have a PM into Tang and John but no replies yet.