YES i finally got MH lights

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by hottielover14, Oct 22, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

yeah.....congrats....i know what u mean when u say bright. Mine were bright as heck and i'm still very excited.

2. Click Here!

3. hottielover14

i have a question again about MH lighting. I got this ballast in the mail from coralvue and it didn't work so i had to buy another one because said that i had done something to it, which i didn't. I got it today the new one but i can't tell if it's HQI or not. The box just says 250 W ballast but so did the other one i got and it worked. i can't tell if it's HQI or not. what would happen if i plugged my HQI light into an non-HQI ballast.

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

The bulb would not fire if you had a non-HQI Ballast

J

5. hottielover14

would it ruin the ballast or not.

6. hottielover14

i mean like would it fry the ballast.

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

No. an HQI Ballast has a starter in it that helps the bulb fire. Non-HQI Ballasts do not have this Starter and there for can only fire bulbs that do not require a starter. An HQI Ballast can fire any bulb

Jason

8. Click Here!

9. hottielover14

10. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

quick question...if i wanted to upgrade my lights in a 55 gal reef do u think MH would be overkill? because for that size a chiller would be way to exxpensive and probably needed...so...er any thoughts?

11. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Is there something you want to keep that you need to upgrade your lighting for?

I have a 58 gallon tank with 2 96 watt VHO and 1 - 175 watt MH. I have them enclosed in a canopy with plexiglass and exhaust fan. I don't have too much trouble with my tank overheating but the room is air conditioned in the summer.
    If that helps....

And is it correct that the HQI's don't get as hot?

12. hottielover14

the HQI's get hotter. i have a question. I bought 2 of those 250 MH pendants, you know the ones i was telling u guys about. Well one has been on for about 2 weeks or so for about 6 hrs. The other one i bought didn't work so i had to buy another ballast because the other one got fried. So it hasn't been on except for a couple of days ago when i got it fired up. My question is, is it normal for them to be different colors. There both coralvue 20K bulbs but the one thats been on for 2 weeks is whiter than the one that i just got fired up. It's more blue than the other one. Is this normal for the same bulb to do.