yes, excellent! come to the dark side!

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by zjpeter, Feb 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zjpeter

zjpeter Ritteri Anemone

i'm sure that there are thread similar to this but i had to share possibly one of the greatest things that have ever happened to me in a long time.

a while ago, my wife and i were walking through the LFS checking out some deals. normally, she's in the connected pet shop looking at puppies. we're walking down a row of tanks and she stops me

"that's a tang right?" she says pointing at a regal blue
    "yes" i said. thankful she didn't say "dory fish"
    "but these are too?" standing in front of a tank full of yellow tanks
    "yep."
    "wow, they look so different. you know, they should really put them in a much longer tank if they want the fish to be happy."

later on, she heard a worker telling some customer that he should dose with Purple Up.

"What does Purple Up do?"
    "It's supposed to grow that purple algae on your rocks."
    "coralline? doesn't that happen anyway?"
    "yeah"
    "why would you pay money for that? don't you just end up having to scrape it off the glass anyway?"

And now, the tip top. Sabrina is standing at the seahorse tank and talking to the worker who is telling us that a biocube is perfect for seahorses. all you do is plug an play.

"don't they like to be cold?" she asks me innocently enough
    "it doesn't matter. they very hardy" he replies
    "i thought a chiller would keep them from getting sick."
    "well some people will tell you that."
    "anyway, i don't think that tank looks tall enough for them" she tells him.

After a whole year of apparent disinterest in my hobby (apart from it being "pretty") my wife as apparently picked up some knowledge. so now i've been subtly quizzing her on random things like water tests and coral types (LPS, SPS, softies, etc) and their needs. without my knowing, i'm well on my way to creating a one-two reefing punch. a dynamic saltwater duo, if you will. how i've envied all you man and wife couples who share a love of our salty pets. and now, it appears i have the making of one!

BOO. YA.

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

Congrats. Funny how even if they dont really seem too interested in our hobby, they still pick up useful information along the way. Who knows maybe one day she will say something along the lines of "Hey you know what we need? A 500g in-wall tank with a dedicated fishroom."

4. divott

divott Giant Squid

there ya go peter. good job. all that subliminal talk worked......finally. :) but thats really cool thats shes taken that sort of interest too. congrats.

5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Cute story!! I'm glad it's turning into something that you two can share - and talk about!

6. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Hats off to your wife! My mom loves chromis, but she is always complainig about how there are not enough (5). She calls them little blues and last time managed to embarass me at the lfs by playing around with them and calling little blues, little blues! Then she saw a stromatella and tried to murder it with my feeding tongs. The thing I hate most though is that when guests come to my house, they are like nice plants when they see coralline or coral...::)

7. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

nice story

I hate when people come over and say that my yellow watch man is ugly lol

8. Click Here!

9. zjpeter

zjpeter Ritteri Anemone

oooo, i think we're a long way off from that. i had to buy her a puppy to even out what i was spending on my tank. lol!

i'd be happy if she would just do water changes for me! i've caught her playing with my magfloat. what a good wife

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

It's nice that your wife is interested, mine just rolls her eyes. ::)

11. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Nice, get her to do full algea cleaning...

12. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Mine has become pretty knowledgeable as well.

Good work Joe!