Yellowtail damsel and clownfish best buds?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by jspicer16, Apr 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jspicer16

jspicer16 Bristle Worm

My girlfriend wanted to add this little yellow tail damsel and with only having two small clownfish in the 30 gallon, I told her she could and it's actually really pretty. Well after QT, put him in the display tank and now the damsel and big clown are best pals, constantly swimming together andnever more than a few inches apart.

2. Click Here!

3. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

My clowns and Yellow tail got along really well also until my yellow tail just gave up on life and jumped out my tank.

4. Jgut3

Jgut3 Fire Worm

I got a YTD when i first started the hobby and my clown killed mine. Hopefully all goes well for you. YTD get very territoral as a adult be warned if you wanna add more fish.

5. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

well techinically the clown is a type of damselfish so it is possible, kinda weird how the dominoes have a similiar thing where they host anemones.

6. CODEE111

CODEE111 Peppermint Shrimp

The damsel fish and the Clowns are closely related....they are part of the same family....so I'm not surprised that they get along. I believe that as the Damsel Fish gets bigger, it will probably become more territorial than the Clown although I've heard the Yellow Tails aren't too bad. The Black Dominos are the worst and can kill the Clowns....mine did anyway. I sent that little weirdo to my friends house to cycle her new tank.....good riddance.

7. jspicer16

jspicer16 Bristle Worm

I hope mine doesn't hurt my clowns :/ ... I got two false perculas that are the brightest orange and white I've ever seen. It's funny watching them right now, the clowns hang out and the damsel is like the little kid trying to fit in... I'd never catch that thing without tearing the whole tank down...

8. Click Here!

9. CODEE111

CODEE111 Peppermint Shrimp

I thought that too. I made a trap and caught both my Black Dominos in 15 minutes without moving anything.

10. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

yellowtail blue damsels get a bad rap because of their more aggressive family members. I love mine and he is always and the bottom of the pecking order the past year+

11. jspicer16

jspicer16 Bristle Worm

I'm sure it's on here somewhere but I'm on my iPhone with crappy edge network...but how did you trap it?

12. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

sorry your mistaken about the attitudes. Dont describe the dominos as being clown killers. The dominos are killers plain and simple, My old dominos would bother the tangs and leave the clowns alone. So its possible for them to live peacefully And I have seen tons of dominos with clowns leaving peacefully. The damsels are aggressive fish no matter what species with the domino ones being the most. As I said before the clowns and damsels are both damsels so the both have very aggressive natures towards territory as they grow.

The fact you sent fish over to your friends house to cycle a new tank is cruel, a piece of table shrimp does the same thiong and doesnt kill an innocent fish. Just my two cents.

lastly for trapping good luck, damsels like to hide in holes int he rock so it can be next to impossible, i had to remove most of my rock and tear my tank down to get them out. Bottle traps dont work for them. mine didnt at least.