Yellowtail Blue Damsel FOTM - October '08

Discussion in 'Fish of the Month' started by Bogie, Sep 30, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

C'mon;). Let's see some pics of those yt damsels.

2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Ok, one more.
    Everyone's tank was or will be at this stage at some point.
    Here's my yellowtail damsel in the 55 at the end of my cycle.
    Seems like so long ago....
    [​IMG]

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I love my yellow tail, one of my favorite fish, very underated. My was a little aggresive at first, used it to cycle so first fish added, but soon settled down quickly. A very beautiful and fun fish to watch. Very hardy, mine just got popeye in one eye, fed him some food with an antibiotic in it, and three days later almost as good as new.

5. nunch

nunch Aiptasia Anemone

I lost mine but i did love it, even though it hated me. every time I had to put my hand in the tank it would attack, fearless. actually all my damsels do that still to this day. I have a 3 stripe, dominoe and purple chromis

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I have always wanted damsels...but heard what a PIA they are so I have never got one. So when I got my Peacock Mantis tank I figured what a perfect tank to put in! They are fast swimmers and if they pester the mantis the mantis will just eat them!

I bought 2 fish, a domino damsel and yellow tail damsel. I love the blue yellow combination of the fish...and it is doing well. I am going to allow it to settle in for a bit longer and get a couple more damsels I think and place it in there.

The domino did not fare so well....I am not sure if it was overcome by ich or if it was a little snack for Bob...was not a bright fish! It slept in Bobs dens...Bob has 3 dens that he sleeps in, one behind a rock and 2 in PVC pipes that I placed in the tank. He was always in the pipes. Well one night I saw this domino go into the PVC pipe while Bob was in the pipe himself (I think he was really just bugging Bob). I figured that was going to be the last of him...it was not. I saw him the next day. However that night he decided to snuggle down with Bob in his cave...did not see him after that! Only so much a mantis can resist!

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

yea dominos don't seem to understand they arent at the top of the food chain

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

My first fish was a yellow tailed. His name is Steve. He made it through the cycle, and the anemone death, not to mention going into the skimmer overflow twice when I first got it. Total warrior! Here's a few pics:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

On another note, on our recent trip to monterey bay aquarium, they had a full sized one that was a little over a foot long. I had to stare at it awhile before believing it was a YTD :eek:

1 person likes this.
  10. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Finally! someone shared a pic......

11. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

you sure it was a YTD, i thought ytd only got 3 inches long, so pics or it didn't happen lol

p.s. your damsel does look like a steve its so weird

12. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid