Yellow Watchman Goby and Tiger Shrimp Pair?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by TheSaltwaterGuy, Nov 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Well I'm thinking about getting a yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp pair, but I have a few questions first: will the pistol shrimp kill any of my other fish? I have an algae blenny and I really don't want it to get shot and killed like a dog. Also, will the shrimp shoot down any of my fish if it doesn't get enough food? Just making sure, because they look really cool but I don't want to put my tank's wellbeing into demise.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. libog2fish

libog2fish Fire Shrimp

what do they shoot???

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I have had a pair for 2 years. If you want to put corals on the sandbed you will have issues. My tank is 28 gal and I can not put anything even remotely close to the main burrows of which there are 3, the shrimp will grab it and bury the coral. Some days it looks like a sand storm in my tank because of the constant digging. I am fond of the pair but I would probably like them better in a larger system.

1 person likes this.
  5. Jgut3

Jgut3 Fire Worm

No and no.

I watch mine pop at my wrasse and he was very close to the shrimp nothing happened. Just a pop and the wrasse was like "i am going to look for copopods"

only thing is make sure your rock is stable and no fine sand lol

6. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Well maybe I should have rephrased that; pistol shrimp kind of release a bubble blast that is like about the same temperature as the sun when the snap their claws together; that can kill fish and other shrimp too

7. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

ok thanks and one more thing; what exactly is fine sand? Isn't all sand practically the same?

8. Click Here!

9. Jgut3

Jgut3 Fire Worm

Yeah mine stole all my spare hermit shells. You can see that in my tank post.

10. Jgut3

Jgut3 Fire Worm

Well you don't want beach type sand. That type of grain size b/c they can't make a stable burrow. I sure some ppl have made it work but i wouldn't try it.

1 person likes this.
  11. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Ok thanks! I reward you with some karma! lol;D

12. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Well I'm using Nature's Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite Reef Sand. Would that be fine? no pun intended XD