Yellow tint

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by snaggit, May 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. snaggit

snaggit Astrea Snail

I started cycling my tank about 3 days ago. 125g 110lbs live rock 50lbs base rock. Anyway, I got this yellow tint in there that been there for about 1-1.5 days. Just curious to what it is. I dont know if it is the rock. The guy told me it was fully cured but I saw some small black areas on a few of them which I believe means that the curing process isnt done if I'm not mistaken. But I dont know if that would cause that or not. I know it doesnt matter cuz I'm sure it will clear up as with most things and I'm in the baby stages of cycling but I was just wondering if anyone could explain it.

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

its organic waste in the water, sometimes if you have plant matter in your tank its tanins. but its just because the water is dirty. a skimmer or activated carbon would help clear it up.

1 person likes this.
  4. snaggit

snaggit Astrea Snail

It'll clear up on its own anyway right? I have a protein skimmer, but the guy I got this whole setup from hasent showed me how to work it and is out of town on business and wont be back til the weekend.

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i will have to say i dont know if it will or not as i haven't had this problem before in a marine tank.

bacteria and algae blooms will clear up but if this clears up i would think it simply settled in another part of your tank.

i wouldnt worry about it since you are cycling, unless your already stocking now(which i advise against during cycling). just wait until you get your skimmer to see if it makes a difference if not then just use some carbon.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

carbon is what you need to use, Skimmers can't do what carbon can and vise versa about a 1/2 cup to 50 Gals and run it 24/7 from now on out . I and anyone with a refugium runs or should run it the chlorophylls can not be skimmed off by a skimmer . And as far as explaining it the rock leached it into the water and there is not such thing as 100% cured rock

7. snaggit

snaggit Astrea Snail

Ya that what I figured. How do I apply the carbon? I saw something where u put it in some sort of bag and set it in the sump tank. Does that sound about right?

8. Click Here!

9. Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Whisky Tango Foxtrot Skunk Shrimp

you can uses carbon inside a HOB (hang on back) filter... most of them have disposable cartridges you can buy...

Best of luck

10. snaggit

snaggit Astrea Snail

I just got some disposable carbon filters and put them on top of the drip tank so the water hits them first then goes down to the bio balls. I imagine that should work.

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Thats O.K I'd get a couple of nylon media bags to fill and lay them flat one the drip plate so all the water would have to pass through them better and cheaper ..
    But you should notice a improvement in a day or so depending on the actual amount of water passing through the bags you now have,

12. snaggit

snaggit Astrea Snail

Ya, I already had a regular filter on top of the drip plate and I just put 2 disposable carbon filter pads right underneath the spout from which the water flown into there so its getting direct contact.
    The media bag idea would have been a little cheaper. I guess we learn as we go eh?