Yellow tank w ich. Nothing to covered in hours!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by PLyons, Feb 11, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PLyons

PLyons Astrea Snail

24hr turn around

The other tank mates have all taken to it very well. They have not been picking on it at all. Infact, I made sure to get a larger one so that the damsels wouldnt be as inclined to bully it. I will eventually take them back to the LFS and get other fish. Thinking about a pair of clowns and a pair of fire fish. This will however be far in the future! I want to make sure to get this under controle first.

I did a lot of reading last night about QT and ich. I have known from day one that I really NEED to do a proper QT, but just got to wrapped up in getting the DT set up. I did take my time in making sure all my perameters were set up correctly, but kinda went fast on everything else and forgot about the importaned details.....I know, rookie mistake! Problem is I'm not a rookie, I QT'd my fish when I had FW years back. I guess in a way I deserve this!

Anyway, I have decided to go ahead and buy the stuff for a QT sooner rather than later.

In the mean time my tang is doing better. As quickly as the ich appeared it has disappeared. I realize it is still present, but it is no longer visible and the tang is doing much better. He is more energetic and less frantic, and he is eating like crazy. While I was gone today he ate nearly a whole sheet of nori and is not back to picking on the rocks and even the flex line on my return. This is the first time I've seen him that high up in the water colum.

Any ideas as to how this could turn around so qickly? Last night I was SURE that if I didnt get this treated quickly he was going to visit Mr Hanky in the sewers, and this evening hes doing better than I've seen out of him since the day I got him. Infact he is eating so much that he's FAT. Doesnt look like he could even fit any more food in his belly.

I'm obviously going to continue to monitor this and maybe even put him in the QT for a few weeks once I get it set up, but I just dont understand how things can go so bad and then back to so good in one day. Could this have just hit him at the end of the ichs cycle? Should I still treat with copper in a QT? Or hyposalinity?

Thanks again for the help everyone. I feel a lot better about the situation today. At least now I get the feeling that I have some time to think about this and decide how best to attack the ich.

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

FWIW, if the fish is looking good and eating well, then let it ride it out. Moving it at this point would just cause it to stress. It is now in your DT anyway. I think that continuing to feed your other fish and the tang a healthy and varied diet, keeping parameters good, and continuing with regular water changes will keep your fish healthy and they can fight off further infection just by having strong immunity systems. I'm sure there are others that will disagree with this assessment but this is from experience and a lot of reading on the subject. Just my .02

4. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

I've used KickIch by Ruby Reef in the past while I had inverts, mainly cuc, and had good results. It has never messed with my levels, and cleared the ich up really quick as long as it was used properly. I don't remember if I had any bigger inverts like fan worms in the tank at the time, but I know the hermits were fine. It's copper free, so it should be ok! Just my experience, a QT tank would be ideal though.