Yellow TANG

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Wilber, Mar 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reef84

reef84 Feather Duster

with any new additon there is always going to be stress. tangs usually stress pretty bad and coloration loss is normal but you want to minimize stres as much as possible.

dont go to the tank and look at it all the time it will just add stress. also try to keep your hands out of the water as much as possible too.

try breaking your normal feeding size into three seperate feedings just to try and entice a little more

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

is he the only fish in the tank?

mine was really skittish as the first fish in my tank when i set it up. took him months to loosen up.

4. Wilber

Wilber Fire Worm

there are two clowns in there with him. He was swiming around all day today real quick like he was at the store. I guess I will see what happens. Maybe he got to close to the frogspawn I added today?

5. Wilber

Wilber Fire Worm

UPDATE

Hes got his normal colors back, Still pretty thin. But has definetly realized the flakes when put in the tank are for him to eat. So hopefully soon it will bulk back up!

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

thats good its eating flakes. keeping trying little peices of nori every day(replace if its not eaten) and he will eventually eat that too. i takes fish a while to realize what is food

1 person likes this.
  7. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

+1 on this. Whenever I add live sea grass (which isn't too often because it doesn't grow that fast) the fish avoid it like the plague until they realize it is edible then it will be gone in a matter of minutes.

8. Click Here!

9. Wilber

Wilber Fire Worm

I have noticed they avoid things like it will kill them if they arent sure. But I will start adding the nori in its clip tomorrow.

the flakes and algea he's pecked off the rock he's almost back to being plump. He was even eating brine shrimp as I was feeding my frogspawn, even the cleaner shrimp got in on it and ate one right out of the turkey bastor! Pretty cool stuff.

10. a1amap

a1amap Astrea Snail

Tangs will eat select macro algaes but nori rubber banded to a rock works best. It mimics where they would naturally find food. Broccoli needs to be par boiled or frozen to soften. I would try nori over broccoli as it is more natural to them. Yellow tangs when stressed will get a white line down the side with a slight brown line above it. Make sure there are plenty of hiding spaces and no one is picking on the tang. And keep your hands out of the tang. Imagine how stressed you would be if a great white swam around you in your pool

1 person likes this.
  11. Wilber

Wilber Fire Worm

Well I notice this white line ordeal everynight now after the lights go out. But he is fine during the day.

Weird.

12. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

That white stripe is just part of its reaction to stress...it a defense mechanism. Other fish like rabbit fish will turn brown when stressed or panicked. If you have him eating now you'll be fine.