Yellow Tang, Swollen (Bloat?) and no longer mobile

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by tim_s, Dec 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tim_s

tim_s Flamingo Tongue

Hi Everyone,

About a month ago I bought a yellow tang (single) as a recommendation from a local fish keeper when discussing sea lettuce that was in my tank. I noticed the yellow tang grazed A LOT on the sea lettuce and started to become swollen.

I removed all the sea lettuce and it has not returned and other than being swollen the yellow tang was fine until today when I found the yellow tang hiding in rock work.

I went to work and upon my return the yellow tang was on it's side with a hermit crab eating the fins.

The yellow tang has not been shy but the tang let me hold it, I noticed a lot of greenery coming out of the fishes waste outlet. I pulled out as much as I could gently and left the tang for awhile.

Slight improvement the fish was up-right.

I stuck my hand in collecting skunk cleaner shrimp and picked up the tang and placed my hands together allowing the cleaner shrimp to clean the tang.

The tang is moving around but stuck weighted down.

At this time I can only assume the digestive system has become damaged - is there anything I can do at this point?

Anything in the future I can do to prevent his from happening again?

2. Click Here!

3. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

Too much ? Greed ?
    Are u feeding flakes as well ?

4. tim_s

tim_s Flamingo Tongue

I am feeding new life spectrum pellets.

5. tim_s

tim_s Flamingo Tongue

Unfortunately the yellow tang has died - thus nothing I can do to assist but still - IF anyone has advice on how to stop this from happening in the future - I would love to know.

6. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Wow, sorry about this!

7. aznbob

aznbob Plankton

Sounds like bowel obstruction. Happens to human so I don't see why it can't happen to fish.