Yellow tang RIP

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by OverStocked, Sep 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OverStocked

OverStocked Coral Banded Shrimp

I took the 70$ risk and got a flame angle. So far he has bin just hiding in the rock so I don't know if he's a nipper.

This one is the most pretty flame I have ever seen in my life will post pic's

2. Click Here!

3. rogersjw

rogersjw Skunk Shrimp

Sorry for the loss!

$70 for a flame? Must be a canada thing.. I can get them here for $50...

Also, can you explain again why the use of 170V? I'm an engineer and can think of no reason why that would be doable or possible... 170V is possible, but 200V at 30 amps isn't possible in most of the US and I would assume thats the case in Canada also but I'm not positive... Unless you are hooked directly into the transformer, i guess possible, but unlikely and not too practical. Also, 30 amps is enough to melt a lot of the wires in these equipment pieces so I would tone that down a bit.

Also, 170V isn't going to do anything other than burn out your equipment. They are built for a specific voltage and generally will fail at much past that. If not the voltage, then definitely the amperage will blow the equipment... try the 120V, maybe your equipment won't bust?

4. OverStocked

The variac I have dose 0-240vac and can take 30a and 50a surge. My fish tank dose not draw 30 amps but the power is there.

In my bedroom I have a outlet with 240vac and 50amps. It's for my high voltage gear IE 10kva pole transformers, microwave over transformer banks,pulse cap charging, running my tesla coil.....

You can cheak out my YouTube videos

Type in

HighVoltageScience

themotkid

On YouTube and you will see my vids

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

You have some serious circuit breakers/fuses and wiring in your house, man. Far above code to handle those loads.

But there's still no real reason to run your stuff at 170v.

6. OverStocked

Less power heads,more air in skimmer, brighter lights,

7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Your powerheads will burn up and create more heat. They can also only go as quickly as their motor allows them. You can underdrive them, but not overdrive them.

Your skimmer will function less effectively and your skimmer can only suck in as much air as the airline allows.

Your lights are not brighter. You will need to replace them sooner. Your bulb's spectrum will change quickly.

We are trying to help you with your tank to prevent things like this from happening.

8. Click Here!

9. OverStocked

A skimmer is not taking all the air it can and can take in way more.

A power head is a simply inductive coil around a iron core that has no real secondary so the magnet is kinda a secondary. So yes it can spin faster but you got to watch the MA and make sure they are the same at 120-170 so you don't fry your primary winding.

The lights are brighter. I don't really know how t5 ballist work but when I turn the knob up from 120 to 170 they get way brighter.

10. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

They also spectrum shift when different amounts of power are applied. That's why when you run a VHO bulb with a HO ballast, they turn a red color. I bet either your bulbs aren't at the right spectrum, now that you've shifted the voltage, or your ballasts are built for 110-240v, and there's no actual difference in the lighting.

11. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

Dude....this stuff happens...Dont quit out just yet.

12. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

An AC motor's speed is fixed. It is determined by the coil windings and the frequency of the line. It will run faster at 60Hz than 50Hz. It may have more torque when you apply a higher voltage, but at some point the coils will start to overheat beyond the point that the insulation can withstand and something is going to either cause a fire or blow a breaker.

Safety testing standards for Canada are based on the CSA ratings and require testing in a voltage range of +/- 10% of the rated voltage. This means that something rated for 120VAC would be safe from 108-132 VAC. When you go above 132 VAC, you are running outside of the margin of safety that the manufacturers are required to test for, and thus are building their insulation class or system around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.