Yellow Tang HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jayfan, May 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jayfan

jayfan Plankton

I have 2...both the same size, I put them in at the same time about a year and a half ago...and never had any fighting issues etc.. My tank is 100g. I will adjust the powerheads, do a 20% water change and see what happens....

Last edited: May 31, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

good luck with it jay. i hope thats all it is.

4. jaredrthrbswimn

jaredrthrbswimn Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Ya good catch divott, I didn't even notice the lack of surface agitation the first time i looked at the photo. Jayfan, you never want the surface of the water to be still or muck can build up (probably causing the nitrates to be above 0). Also, what is in the tang's diet? I have had about 4 tangs in 8 years and finally got the last one right with a varied diet of different frozen brine/mysis shrimp and dried seaweed. My 3rd Tang just sat looking at the bottom of the overflow (similar to Bubbles the Tang in Finding Nemo) until he died :(. Hope that doesn't happen to yours!

5. jayfan

jayfan Plankton

Just a little update... Sorry....my computer has been down for a bit. The fish did end up dying....but it was do stress from being picked on by the other Tang. I watched them for about an hour and the heathly one was beating on the other one. They were fine for over a year together..... oh well, that's nature I guess. Looking for something new...... NO yellow tangs though! Thanks for everyones help.

6. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

It is a yellow tang.... If you look closely at the picture you can see the fishes scalpel near its tail fin. Scalpel such as what a doctor uses, or surgeon, hence being in the surgeonfish family.

It looks like a problem with oxygen and i see red around the gills the ammonia might be causing ammonia burn in the gills... basically suffocates the fish even more.

7. Triggerfish

Triggerfish Ritteri Anemone

I would say that it might be getting bothered by another fish, I have had many aggressive fish and I have noticed that many attack other fish very early in the morning.

8. Click Here!

9. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

Appears to be a Mimic Tang to me.

10. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

Well if the other tang was just picking on it you could cut off the "tang" so it doesn't hurt the other fish.

11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Agreed. Tangs are sensitive to begin with and any level of detectable ammonia can harm them.